Hard to get excited about Titans' draft

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ONUV, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ONUV

ONUV Starter

By DUNCAN STEWART

No sugar coating here friends. The Titans' 2007 NFL Draft effort was not what this season ticket holder had hoped. The first thought that came to mind after digesting it all was semi-disaster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Titans company line a vow to fill as many holes as possible through the draft? If that were the case, would it not stand to reason that the top two priorities would have been shoring up the NFL's worst defense and giving quarterback Vince Young some much needed help by drafting a big-time wide receiver?

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070502/SPORTS/705020337/1006

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

You could argue against his point, that in fact, we did fill holes. Three WRs to add competition, a RB, a corner, a speed-rushing DE, and a S to shore up a terrible secondary. We filled needs, maybe not with the players everyone loved, or probably more accurately, paid any attention to.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You have to be full of optimism to think we filled holes. Most of us see that we waited too long and picked up no-name receivers that look like they'll be career back-ups. That may not be the case, and they could somehow pan out, but from all we know we drafted a bum class other than one player and he isn't someone we really had a huge need for.

4. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

We didnt have a huge need for DBs? Oh man.

5. Deuce Wayne

He's a safety. Don't spin it. Please.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I guess I prefer to see it as we had a lot of holes. I feel WR is not a strength yet, but it very unproven and with questions. I think a spending a 1st on Jarrett or Maechem would have alleviated stress, but do I think it's necissarily the only long term answer? No, absolutely not. I think Givens, when healthy, can be solid. I think Brandon Jones is solid. I think Paul Williams is a very intriguing prospect. I see a lot of solid, but uncertain, aspects to our receiving corp.

I think our secondary needed fixing. We did that by adding the versatility and ability of Griffin. That fills a need in my mind.

Adding competition to motivate, or perhaps even replace, LenDale with Henry, fills a need. RB was not a must have position, but competition for White was. It was filled.

Adding depth to the defensive line and cornerback position was needed. It was filled with Johnson, Ford, and Smith.

We needed depth and perhaps eventual heir to Mawae and our guards. I like Harris and Otto in that regard.

Basically, I think we did fill needs. We had a lot, and not everyone was going to be fixed in the draft, and I think a lot of people expected that. I refuse to comment on this draft or offseason until its actually done, and the players get on the field. Maybe some of you should do the same.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Of the WRs left on the board only Steve Smith was worthy of a 2nd round pick. IMO he was worth passing up and Williams might be a better pro anyway.

Assuming that any of the DEs left would have been much of an upgrade is wishfull thinking IMO. IMO none were a big upgrade over Odom and the Ford pick was a good pick for a guy who can come in on passing downs and rush off the edge. He is also a viable option if we want to play some 3-4 on passing downs.

Antonio Johnson was actually ranked much higher than were we picked him and was impressive at the Senior Bowl practices often dominating the better OL players.

With all the needs we had there was no way we were going to fill them all in the first day of the draft. Taking a guy like Meachum would have made the "experts" happier but the whole complexion of the drat would have changed. Making Duncan Stewart happy was not the objective.

The 2003 and 2004 drafts looked better on paper but we all know how they turned out.

8. Deuce Wayne

Word. 2 years down the road things look better. I'm not expecting anything from Givens this season so I exclude him from the roster by default. Same with Pacman. Once those guys are back and up to speed, things will look a lot better if one can stay healthy and the other can stay housed.

9. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

We didn't have a huge need for a safety? Oh man. Really.

10. Deuce Wayne

-sigh- Not as much as CB, DE, WR. You know this. Stop with your shenanigans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar