Halo ...... the history

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Puck, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Dual wielding was good.

Ending was non existant. I honestly thought I was going to another level then it just ended.

I don't think the story is much to write home about either.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Ok, ok. I understand Halo is a cultural phenomenon in North America, much like Madden here. But let's get off Halo's nuts. This isn't on the same level as Star Wars or any of these other franchises. Why compare oranges and a potato?

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I don't understand the fascination with this games so called greatness. It's a good, solid, fun multiplayer franchise. The single player experience is extremely pedestrian, as is the run-of-the-mill story. It's a game that resonates with casual gamers because of how simple the interface and accessibility; fine, I can understand that.

But when people say this is the best FPS ever is just baffling to me. What is so innovative about it? This isn't Doom, this isn't Quake, nor is it Unreal or Golden-Eye or Half-Life. I'm welcoming any arguments here, because I am honestly curious.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I don't think anyone here has claimed that Halo is the best FPS ever
    but it trumps Doom, Quake, Unreal, GoldenEye, Killzone, all the WWII shooters, Rainbow Six, et al.....

the one game I think reset the bar was Gears of War

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

But how?

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

You just named some of the most ground-breaking franchises of all time. You've expressed your opinion fine, I just want to know why.

6. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Never really liked Halo. Though I only played the multi-player version, it just never appealed to me.

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

as far as consoles are concerned,
    GoldenEye 007 for N64 broke the ground
    then there was Perfect Dark N64 which refined it a bit
    then came Halo: Combat Evolved which gave rebirth to the genre
    whether it was innovative or not, the FPS genre was asleep until Halo launched

ever since, every game developer has tried to usurp the goliath .... have they succeeded ? I don't think so

2 FPS I enjoyed a much or more than Halo are Half-Life 2 (xbox) and Gears of War (360). Those 2 franchises are the only 2 Halo needs to worry about, which I'm sure it doesn't

I don't think Quake 4, Doom 3, Perfect Dark Zero, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent or any of the recent Unreal's hold a candle to Halo

and not because it does any one thing particularly well, but the overall package just has a little more to offer than the others

question: was Halo the first FPS to offer Co-Op and Online Multiplayer ?

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I see the arguement, although I definitely think that Gears Of Wears has it's own issues (Great engine/graphics, great single player, mediocre multiplayer). I would argue that Rainbow Six: Las Vegas is a much better overall experience (great single-player, very fun multiplayer).

No single player experience has touched Half Life 2 or even the original IMO, in terms of story, scope, and overall fun.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No, Rainbow 6 is one game that had it several years before Halo and there were probably others.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

And I would never rate Halo as one of the best FPS, maybe if there was a category for best mindless shoot-'em-up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar