Hakeem Nicks to visit Titans Thursday

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Dangermode, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i disagree jeff.

if you work out hard five days a week you can eat whatever you and not gain a pound, in fact you'd probably still lose weight. i did that during football season in high school, the problem is once the season is over and you stop working out as hard, or in nicks' case because of injury, you pack on the lbs fast.

i'm not saying this is what happened with nicks, but as a college kid i doubt he's following the strict diets of an nfl athlete, so it's certainly possible.

2. Fry

Nick Harper: Height 5'10", Weight - 182lbs

let's face it, who was the last 6'1"+ corner to be successful in the nfl for a long stretch of time? guys that big don't have the hips to flip and run fluidly enough like the small guys do.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

A few current 6'1" CB's:

Rashean Mathis - 6'1" 190
    Chris McAllister - 6'1" 210
    Nnamdi Asomugha - 6'2" 210

How about these big HoF CBs:

Willie Brown - 6'1" 195
    Rod Woodson - 6'1" 200
    Mike Haynes - 6'2" 195
    Emmitt Thomas - 6'2" 195
    Mel Blount - 6'3" 205

[​IMG]

4. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

Charles Woodson - 6'1", 202lbs

Rashean Mathis - 6'1", 190lbs

Chris McAlister - 6'1", 210lbs

Samari Rolle - 6'0", 175lbs

Nnamdi Asomugha - 6'2", 210lbs

Champ Bailey - 6'0", 192lbs

My point is bigger corners can play too. Just because they are big doesnt mean that they lack speed, acceleration, or agility which I think is the most important attribute a corner can have. Agility is based on hip movement. While it is true bigger corners usually lack agility that's not always the case. It depends mainly on the players body structure and weight distribution. A corner that is 6'3" and 220lbs will probably have more agility than a 5'11" corner who weighs 220lbs. This is why I dont like Jenkins or Davis as much as some others do. I think if your over 200lbs you should be at least 6' to maintain a good amount of agility. Some guys are special such as Alphonso Smith. He is 5'9", 200+lbs but he still maintains a very respectable amount of agility although his speed somewhat suffers probably due to his size. By the way, he doesn't have bad speed, he just doesn't have great speed. He can stick with receivers downfield. Another attribute that cannot be taught and that is very important is confidence and I hear he comes with plenty.

I only put up that comparison to show small corners could play also.

5. Fry

you haven't watch rashean mathis play much in the last two seasons, have you? and like i said, "long stretch at a time."

there's a reason the average height for an nfl corner is somewhere between 5'10" and 6'0", because all the guys who are over 6'0" play safety because they can't flip and turn.

of course SOME guys can do it, especially if they're physical at the line, but long legs and stiff hips don't usually translate well to that position.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Sean Smith draws Mel Blount comparisons. He was on Sirius today, as was Nicks.

Nicks said he does gain weight easily, that he only lifted until his hamstring was better, that teams seemed satisfied with the answers he gave, the teams who have shown the most interest to him directly are Ravens and Colts, and that it would not bother him to be drafted in the second round, that he just wants an opportunity to prove himself.

Bulluck was on as well, and when asked by Schein and Wilcotts if he thought the Titans would draft a receiver in the first, he laughed. He also said he thinks Vince is starting to get it. I heard some of the Vince audio as well: he comes off as much more serious when you hear him say it. I liked it.

7. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Sorry man, but this just supports Jeff's Mike Williams post. This is what happened to BigMike.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Kenny Britt is about as average as they come. He doesn't run near as good routes. Doesn't have as good of hands.
    Has ZERO play-making ability. He goes down easy. Doesn't fight for anything after the catch, and is about as agile as Albert Haynesworth. Plus, he tries to catch with his body instead of his hands. Very Justin McCareins-like.

Plus, notice all his highlights. Does he do anything further than 10 yards out? All screen passes where he runs right in to the defenders afterward. He runs straight up too, just waiting to be broken in half.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree...and it's funny the way you put it.

If Britt continues to come along like he has, improves his hands and shows more of the "want-to" he has recently, I'll be okay with the pick.

At the same time, I find what you say about just catching screen passes and barrelling into people pretty hilarious, upon further review. If he just falls on the corners all game long, I think that's a product I might pay to see. :ha:

Especially if it tires the defenses out.

But more than any any anything, I just hope we get the receiver with the best hands.

10. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

I havnt watched any highlights on Britt. Im just saying physically the things that cannot be taught Britt possesses and that with a little motivation his ceiling I believe is higher than Nicks. I think he is only 20 years old as well. He has time to mature while playing a low key role in our offense, maybe 4th or 5th WR. Possibly 3rd if he proves himself.

Anyway I wouldnt make this pick until the second round. Definitely not a first round selection. Neither Britt or Nicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar