Gruden's Camp Series

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I didn't see a thread on this up already but I've been catching as many of these as I can lately. So far, I've caught most of the QBs and saw Fairly last night.

Quick impressions:

Newton is going to struggle learning a NFL playbook. The guy couldn't even think of any Auburn plays beyond "36".

Gabbert did well but only saw half of that one.

Mallet comes off y but I personally don't have any problem with that.

Locker did well, IMO.

Dalton impressed me the most of the QBs.

I saw only parts of Fairly and I hope he was just nervous because the guy did little more than grunt from what I saw.

Anyone else watching these? Love em.

2. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

In my opinion, Gruden is not qualified to be given some sort of title that he is suddenly a quaterback guru. The truth is, he rode on the success of veterans most of his career and struggled to nuture prospects. He asks the right questions but I would argue is the right man questioning? I like how it has exposed the weaknesses of some players but he seemingly has an agenda and does not truly want to portray any of the players strengths. If I was an agent I would decline to go to the Gruden QB camp citing his lack of legitmacy in his position of power against the client (player). Gruden has an agenda, it works, but I wouldn't read to much into it.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Is that all the Newton interview was about, verbage? The question was not for Newton to recite the Auburn playbook but to give an example of "verbage".

I saw Gabbert last night and he did well and his interview was 30 minutes in which he used the black board to diagram coverages and blocking schemes. Was Newton asked to do any of that? There has to be more than just a few lines about the language or terminology used in calling a play.

All i saw of Newton was the verbage issue, one question and then let's throw some. WTF?

4. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Exactly, it was quite clear in the Newton interview, Gruden wanted to expose his primary weakness which we all know was terminology. I bet you if someone went and called some college terminology to Gruden he wouldn't have a clue what it meant. Its a fixed agenda to expose weaknesses, which is good and bad.

5. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Gruden's QB camp has been one of my favorite parts of the draft process this year. IDK if they have a session schedule but I would love it if they did Kaepernick.

If Locker's video the have some clips of him dropping back (abet very briefly) but his footwork was the best I've seen from him to date.

Newton's session just dropped him further down my wishlist. 36? Really? I wasn't in the huddle (or no huddle rather) but I am certain that Auburn has more complicated plays then that. Mallet conversely really moved up in my eyes; the dude straight knows football.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He worked for Mike Holmgren for 4 years, was an nfl OC for the Eagles for 3 seasons and a head coach for 10 years. I would hope he knows something about that side of the ball.

He coached both QBs and Wrs in college.

• High Five High Five x 4
  7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

You could say this about any great coach. Gruden gets fired for going 9-7 in back to back seasons with something called a brad johnson... I'd say the guy knows what he's talking about.

8. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

He won a super bowl on his Tampa 2 defence and the vet Brad Johnson. He ain't the QB guru they are trying to suddenly portray him as on ESPN. I will say that he is doing a better job of this than MNF though.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Gruden gets paid big money as a commentator on MNF. I think he's asking the right questions and is as qualified as anyone to do it.

You can't jump to any conclusions based on these shows. We don't know what they edited out. The guys could be nervous. Some people project differently than they really are, or will be, as a player (CJ).

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I LOVE this show! I try to catch them all, but have the DVR set if I miss one. Locker's was the first I saw, and only reassured me he's our guy. Him or Fairley need to be taken at 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar