Griffin vs. Nelson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

I don't know where you get your info...but they are almost the exact same size, they both play special teams (Griffin blocked 8 punts and is an excellent gunner, Nelson blocked 7 punts in one less year of playing time and is a good gunner), and Nelson is the bigger hitter...especially against the pass. Griffin is more versatile (he's played all the secondary spots) and is a better wrap up tackler vs the run...but that's about it. Nelson is better vs the pass as a FS.

Gut

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Gut, you forgot the most important part. Nelson is a Jag. That's got to be considered a fault.

3. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

As a huge UF fan, I was disappointed when we took another safety when Nelson was on the board. I have watched every game that Nelson played at UF, he was IMO the best safety in the draft. Meyer's scheme had Nelson play deep in the secondary, this was in part due to Nelson's incredible speed, in part because Tony Joiner (our SS) is a "in the box guy". Go back and look at any UF game, for any deep pass, Nelson is either there to knock the ball away or literally knock the head off of the receiver. Nelson is not an "in the box" safety. He was exactly what his nickname said he was however, the eraser. He erased so many mistakes that even though we lost our top returning CB, Avery Atkins, and had to rely on a converted RB at corner and a transfer, Ryan Smith (who I love as our late pick), UF was able to win the national championship. I don't know what games people were watching when they say that Nelson can't tackle, he wasn't asked to do a lot of tackling, due in part to, as I have mentioned, the position that he was asked to play. He has missed tackles, but not many. Yes he does go for "knock out blows" at times, but he still wrapped up ballcarriers. Most of his "knock out blows" were on receivers who were trying to bring in a pass. Nelson knocked out so many guys over his two years at UF I lost count. I know that he knocked out FSU's 240 lb FB last season, so your going to tell me he is too small?

I challenge anyone to spend a few minutes on any of the UF boards or to post a question on a UF board about Nelson. You will see in a few minutes how well he was respected by UF fans. Most fans I know think that he was one of our best defensive players EVER, most fans I know are in their late 40's and 50's, so we're not talking about college kids here.

I like Griffin, hope that he is going to be a good one since he is a Titan, but it is going to kill me watching Nelson with the Jags, especially if he turns out like I think that he will. Nelson and Griffin are the same size. Nelson is faster. Nelson played against better competition. Nelson was actually going to be the starting corner this year until Smith was able to transfer, so even the argument that Griffin is more versatile is in question. I know some scouts questioned Nelson's understanding of the game, as he may not be that bright. Supposedly he could not understand some complicated defenses. However, as I said, go back and look at the games, and the guy makes some incredible breaks on the ball. He is a read and react player. I guess I'm going to have to find some UT games and start watching Griffin, I really hope our staff knew what they were doing...

4. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Not really. :suspect:

5. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

6. the only reason i think nelson hits harder is because he always goes in with all of his body and doesnt always get the sure tackle like griffin does, and griffin is much better against the run, and as far as coverage skills watch the USC game

7. and ur video is linked to Chris Henry

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, you all have to remember that there may have been reasons for selecting Griffin over Nelson that aren't immediately visible on the field. Maybe Nelson had a horrible interview or didn't test well or whatever.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think nelson being as dumb as a brick had something to do with it.

10. thats very probable, griffin seems so much like a model citizen u cant help but like the guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar