Griffin to be franchised!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanoiler, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

"The Titans have Alterraun Verner in place to start for Finnegan, but safeties with playmaking ability like Griffin's are hard to come by."

There is so much wrong in that "statement".

2. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Bye Cortland Finnegan, thanks for years as a Titan. Was a pleasure to watch! All but eliminates the chance we'll re-sign Finny IMO.

Makes sense to me though. The tag for Finnegan would pay just under 5mil more than it pays Griffin. I wasn't a fan of Griffin last year, but at least the tag is about the value he'd get if he hit free agency so it's fair (Finny for 11m is quite insane).

And on top of it, it ensures we won't got through too much overturn in the secondary next season. That's a good thing.

With letting Griffin go this year, I'm 95% sure his replacement would be worse. It's a weak draft class, Barron may not be there at 20 and FA is weak too. If you think it can't get worse, think Barrett Ruud replacing Stephen Tulloch.

3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

[​IMG]

My reaction to Griffin getting the tag. Hope he has a decent year next season but this all but determines the need to have and elite front seven next year.

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I am actually okay with tagging Griffin under one condition: sign Mario Williams.

Otherwise, this is just stupid. Sure, we are saving $4mil by tagging Griffin and not Cortland, but we are tagging an average player instead of a great one.

5. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

I figured one of the Finny/Griffin/Hope has to return, but I was hoping it'd be the former. I don't like Griffin but this truly may be a case of Tenn not being able to find a better replacement. The reports of Reggie Nelson possibly being a target scared me enough to accept this move.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Verner was DECENT. He was OK. He is NOT Finny. FA is going to be big. Our secondary even w/ Finny wasn't great. Add to that we have no pass rush currently. Im not crazy and saying that Finny is worth some ridiculous amount, but damn. I hope last year rookies play like league vets next year...

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Improve the pass rush and next year's secondary will look better without finny than last year's with finny

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. pettso

pettso Starter

There really weren't very many safeties available in free agency, and it sounds like the Titans didn't have any interest in drafting Barron in the 1st round. It's a position of need and Griffin may be the best plug for the hole for next year.

Our secondary won't be great, in fact, it will be significantly worse than it was last year without Finnegan but hopefully the improvements we have planned for the defensive line will more than make up for it.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Yea we just need to improve the pass rush, seems easy enough with our cap situation and Williams in free agency.

Its just unnerving with our free agent history.

I think its imperative we go after Williams or Avril and go DE in the first round. Thats what we need to do if we want to improve on our record from last year.

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Robert Mathis is probably our best realistic bet.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar