Griffin Could Possibly Play Multiple Positions

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanmc

Titanmc Starter

Number 74. Bruce Matthews.

2. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

What if Griffiin at CB and Lowery/Scott at S is better than Hill at CB and Griffin at Saftey?

If and when we get Jones back, we will be SOLID in the DB's. Griffin will rotate back to S and our D Line will be able to get some coverage sacks!

3. Titans10&25

Titans10&25 Camp Fodder

Ill be honest I can't wait til Pacman gets back because like you said Pickled, Griffin will move back to safety where he belongs and IMO I think dominates even as a rookie, our CB's will be amazing w/Harper and Pacman ,and Hope dominating once again at SS, and our Secondary and our Defense as a whole will become tough as heII!

4. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

[​IMG]

Jim Schwartz says.... "not so fast my friend"

5. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

He is that good! GO TITANS!!

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Drafting Griffin instead of a pure CB indicates they might be anticipating Pacman returning. However, if Pacman doesn't return or were to return and then get suspended again we still have Griffin who can play CB.

Because of his versatility the Titans might feel like their butts are covered no matter how the Pacman thing turns out with Griffin. If for some reason Griffin doesn't cut it at CB we still have Hill, Finnegan and maybe even Ryan Smith (did I leave out Woolfolk, he might be an option?) and Griffin can play strickly safety. Either way I'm beginning to really like the Griffin pick because he is a player, not just an athlete and I think he will excel.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think it's a mistake putting Griffin at CB...at the very least it makes me mighty uncomfortable. I don't doubt they scouted him well, and saw corner skills in his game, but I have no doubt Griffin doesn't want to play corner, and that alone will make it a difficult and perhaps fruitless transition. Plus, I see that in today's Tennessean is a picture of him getting beat by Clinton Solomon, who, at this point, has to be the lowest receiver on the depth chart. That's got to be confidence-damaging.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Give the guy a chance to settle, he has been playing safety for four (?) years in college, he won't turn into Deion Sanders just like that.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

yea... this was a pretty smart pick with Pac's future up in the air, especially considering the division we're in. If Fisher sees the skills in Griffin to be a top CB, then I'd say it's more likely than not that he can make the transition. Don't forget when we took Pac everyone thought we passed on the best CB, Antrel Rolle. I think Fisher saw the talent, and he was right. If Griffin can learn the CB position, it makes it much harder for Peyton to read our defense and adjust... with Griffin in, is he going to drop into coverage or is he going to play the run? Not to mention that Griffin was one of the top punt blockers in NCAA history - a blocked punt is as good as a great return. Not sure if he can rush the passer, too, but if he can get in the backfield that might also be a huge plus. We'll see - it's all a guess in May, but I see his chances as pretty good.

10. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

I really want him playing safety. I think he and Hope would make one of the best safety tandems in the league. He's that good at the position. But this work at CB will be good for him. I think it's temporary, and it's probably easier to learn to play CB in our system than safety. We want him to be comfortable.

I'm worried about whether he wants to play CB though. Where are people hearing that he doesn't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar