goTitans.com tailgate t-shirts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You're "pretty sure"? You need to talk to a few of the webmasters for other NFL teams who have received cease and desist letters from the NFL for use of logos on t-shirts they were selling. It's not only about using a protected trademark but any confusion it may generate between it and official merchandise.

If your concept creates a violation, then bad concept. The biggest challenge in doing a t-shirt like this is avoiding infringement issues.

I don't follow the logic here. If the slogan had something to do with tailgating, then I'd see it. If someone is walking in a mall with it on, what would someone think who is unfamiliar with the site?

It probably wouldn't be a huge issue if the word "Titans" wasn't part of it. Or, if their symbol wasn't also a part of it. As is, this would bring out "NFL Big Brother" in full force. Don't believe me? Google "trade dress infringement" and "trademark infringement".

Then maybe you need to tap into those other ideas. I spent, maybe, four hours on the design I did. But if you need four months, have at it.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You've been asking about ideas for the shirt for much longer than 4 hours. That's why I assumed 4 months, since you said you were working on it long, long ago.

Again, the Flames can be changed. "Looking like" a logo isn't infringement. Many shirts simply flip the logo upside down and get away with it. The brand UNDRCRWN is popular for barely changing logos and placing something witty with it.

But flames are a generic shape. Again, it'd be simple to change- but I understand your reason for going against it. I knew everything you'd complain about while I was doing it. :)

And again- TITANS is used with the same font for other companies. It isn't infringement. It isn't even THEIR font. They have no say. Zero. Again- you can make a shirt that's not licensed by the team or NFL that is related... you just cant use their copywritten material to do it. Easily avoidable.

I just did this quick to prove a simple point. Point made. I knew it wouldn't be printed so I didn't make everything completely custom. Didn't need to. Just showed I could make a better design for THIS cause. No biggie. I didn't go to the lengths to avoid the "dangers" because it was made for one thread on the internet. I've made Lebron shirts that have sold with no problems. I know what to do and what not if I'm printing.

But if I were actually making a T shirt for a group of people, I'd actually get their input to build on my concept. Especially if I wanted them to buy it. Like including 'tailgating'. That'd probably be an addition. I'd also make MULTIPLE designs and allow the forum to choose.
    But that's just me.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Spoken like someone who clearly does not understand trademark infringement. Let's see you open your own CafePress store and get away with it.

See previous response.

That you don't understand trademark infringement? Point made. :)

I'm sure you think you did.

4. Deuce Wayne

lol @ Cafepress.

Speaking of, I designed a Lebron James logo while he was still in highschool and sold it on cafepress. Oddly enough a year later nike uses almost the exact same logo and still does. That sucks.

And I did. I used something that cant be taught at Omore. Creativity. Which is all your design really lacked- but it's the most important feature IMO. It's cool. Better designer or not, I still like you. :)

5. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

Gloat, I give you points for over inflated ego, that's for sure

6. Deuce Wayne

Gotta win at something here! I'll take it! haha

I don't expect anyone to give me fair props here. I knew that the entire time, so it's no biggie. I just wanted to show that I could make as good of a t-shirt. Whether people admitted it's better or not, it's still AS good. So now all that's left is to accuse me of having a shirt that can't sell due to infringement issues... which isn't true.
    Just the way it goes. You can't beat the Admin. On any forum. I don't hold it against Jeff or anything.

7. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

where do i get this shirt?

8. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

If you could design a t-shirt that we could realistically sell, then it would be much better. I'm no graphics artist, but I could probably come up with an awesome design that someone with graphics experience and talent could tweak up.

I do like the colored shirts better, but you have to factor in cost. I like the Titan flame around the grill, but we could never get away with it. You have to factor in more things than just a design when you actually want to produce t-shirts for sale.

Overall, you did a nice job, even if we had to hear you moan and groan about the lack of time you had to spend on it and all your whining about Jeff's design. You do win over inflated ego goTitans.com member of the year ;)

9. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

Contact Gloat, he can hook you up ;)

10. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

the only people who might sue are the Weber folks...Those guys are di*ks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar