goTitans.com down/slow

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

As many of you are already aware, the site was down all day yesterday. We had some server issues which continue to be a problem and we hope to have sorted out soon.

In the meantime, expect the forum to be slower than normal.

I post updates in this thread as I get more info.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Sorry to hear you're having server issues again TJ. It must be frustrating...

I have no idea (and I mean NO idea) how much these things cost, but if there's a more expensive, more stable option maybe you should set up a voluntary Paypal donation set-up, so members can foot some of the bill. I'd have no problem kicking in a little cake. I'm a cheap ******* so if I'm willing to donate a few bucks to the cause I'm sure there are a few others who'd be more than willing. I mention Paypal specifically because it's so damn easy for the user to make a payment (and the easier it is to donate to the cause... the more likely people are to kick in a litlle something). Maybe make a VIP area/designation for those willing to kick in a few bucks.

Just a thought.

3. whutaboutGump

whutaboutGump Naw mean?

Make a special member title, "contributing member" and then open a "Chip In" account with what's needed to get some new gear, bandwidth. Those who contribute get the title, those who do not can still contribute, but not complain when issues occur.

I would be happy to assist, and will look for any additional tips that I can find to help remove more of the leaches from here. For the record, I have refrained from putting very may gifs, and other chop work on here to keep from adding to the problem.

4. TitanJeff

I think a lot of the problem has been those spiders who hit the site. I see stuff like 50 members, 3,250 guests and know (even during the Young stuff on Tuesday) that a lot of that are search engine spiders.

I've gotten more aggressive trying to tame those so we'll see.

The host has suggested I beef up the dedicated server we are currently on. That may be the next step. We're having a few growing pains which is a good thing. :)

We do have a donations option for those who want to give. I have it set at $2 a month via a subscription on PayPal. I've avoided promoting it but, if we do get the bigger server, it would help.

To see it, go to your usercp. In the control panel column on the left, you'll see "Misc" on there about half way down. Under it is "paid subscriptions".

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I'm in! You should promote it (at least a little)... I had no idea.

6. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

I've been here for a while and was never aware neither, count me in. I love the input I can get here that is not available any where else. I live in Cow country and very much depend and enjoy the info this site provides.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'd never heard of it before either...

8. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

So um, how much would it cost for me to have the power to delete and rewrite other member's post? (waiting patiently, tapping credit card on side of laptop.)

9. TitanJeff

Per word or per post? :brow:

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If I give $10 then I should get like 5 positive reps for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar