Good read on CJ's chances at 2K next season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I get that because his carries are definitely going to drop but his total yards rushing will still be phenomenal, therefore his YPC will be even higher. That's how I'm getting that.

I will be expecting CJ to have even more runs over 50 yards than he had this year and his carries will drop.

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

If Cj can get 2000K next season he will forever be in the record books.

RB's will be chasing that record longer than Dickersons.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

The one advantage he has is that there is no more astroturf. I think that is a big thing for running backs in the future. The players of today face faster-stronger players, but that astroturf, that could end you. So I do not think the number of carries is as significant as it once was.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I'd just be happy if he could become an actual 5 ypc back rather than 1, 2, 3, 2, -2, 3 2, 8, 4, 60, 3, 2...etc type.

Having another back help him out would probably help him be a lot more effective per touch rather than so hit or miss- but it looks like JF would rather just run him in to the ground like he's an every down back.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Idk if you watch much football, but that's how every back in the league is. The great ones, like CJ, have an average of 5+. And that's quite an exaggeration...I've seen drives where he ran 4 times in a row for 7-15 yards a run. You probably don't remember those though, do ya?

6. Deuce Wayne

Nah, my memory is cluttered with the constant tip toeing in the backfield for 1,-1, then 10s.

I know that's who he is. But guys like MJD, Jackson, AP, etc- they seem to be able to always get at least 4 yards per carry without actually needing those huge runs to boost their averages.

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Right. FYI, AP gets stuffed as much or more then CJ. And until Jackson has a quality line I don't know how you can even consider himself a part of this discussion. And if he constantly gets hit for less then 2 yards then I'd say his big play potential definitely compensates since he's in the middle of a record setting 100-yard-game streak. Btw, AP had his first 100 yard game in 9 games against the saints. Insert excuse about favre and being pass first, but something tells me I he could get 100 a game he would. U ever notice how Chester Taylor looks just like AP when he runs? Maybe...idk just maybe....it's the line? Or maybe teams are less worried about us throwing the ball and gameplan nearly exclusively for CJ to stop us? I don't guess any of that is a factor though. After all, he only had 2000 yards. Definitely need another back. No way he's an ever down back. Hell, anyone can bust a 90 yard run on 3rd an 20 off a draw.

8. Deuce Wayne

Chester Taylor has ALWAYS looked like a stud when he runs. I understand CJ is a homerun hitter while guys like DeAngelo Williams are more consistent. That's ok- I just wish he had someone to share the load so we'd be more effective driving the ball.

That's the only knock on CJ- he's a drive killer in a way because he either gets the huge gain, or nothing.

Just wish there was more balance. And if you think Stephen Jackson skews his numbers with a ton of long gains, that's not the case. Even with a bad line he moves forward. Frank Gore, etc... all these guys are like that. It's not CJ's style to hit up the middle and gain. He needs someone else to help.

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

He doesn't need anything. He's just not a bruiser. There are a lot....A LOT of things that this team does need. Help at RB is not even on the list. Hell, that's the only position on the team that I'm entirely comfortable with. Our O Line and RB are fine. Need receivers that can catch, a QB that can throw (even though Vince showed some serious signs of improvement), a secondary that can cover, a front 7 that can pressure, a coach that can coach, and safeties that are safe, not playaction biters. All of those things come LOOONG before any discussion of bringing in a RB.

10. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

He could do it again if given the chance but he won't be given enough carries IMO to do it again. But this guy has surprised me game after game so it wouldn't surprise me if he broke the rushing record

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar