Giving Thanks We Have The Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

There is nothing like being a true long term diehard fan of an NFL team. I waited quite a while before finally being blessed with the Tennessee Titans in 1999.

I would like to give thanks to Bud Adams for giving Tennessee a true shot at having an NFL franchise. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Our time is coming. We have a young smart GM that is early in his tenure here along with a young franchise QB that when his career ends will be looked back on as one of the best if not the best this team ever had. Things are looking better now than they have in quite some time.

Even though we've only been here 18 years the team has had several opportunities at a title 1999 our first year and Super Bowl,2000 the year we had the league best defense and record,2002 falling short in the AFC Championship and 2008 the year we had the league best record and a rookie RB that would dominate for a few short years. It's a lot more than some teams can say.

Many long term fans go through a lot of heartache before finally experiencing the joy of winning it all.

Most Seattle fans were overjoyed when they won the Super Bowl after all the long term fans went through hell in the 1990's they were the worst team of the decade. Since 2003 they've had ten postseason berths and played in two Super Bowls winning one.

Green Bay sucked in the 1970's and 1980's but ever since 1992 have only had two starters Favre and Rodgers and have had many winning seasons as well as being in three Super Bowls winning two.

Arizona went through some tough years from 1988 through 2006 but ever since 2007 the Cards have done very well with Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer as starting QB. They've been to a couple NFC title games and a Super Bowl. They got lucky with Keim as GM and Arians as coach.

Cincy was another team that was one of the worst of the 90's dealing with 14 straight non winning seasons before turning it around in 2005 now they make the postseason nearly every year.

If you don't have a good GM along with a talented QB chances are you won't get far. Both Steve McNair and Vince Young left Tennessee with winning records. Former GM Ruston Webster failed mainly due to drafting a bust at QB Jake Locker the only franchise QB not to leave TN with a winning record. Not long after drafting Mariota the team brought in a new GM Jon Robinson.

At least we have a franchise caliber QB. There are numerous teams that have struggled for years due to having issues under center.

Cleveland has had six QB's take snaps this season and are 0-11. N.Y. Jets haven't had a good QB since Chad Pennington a decade prior. Buffalo has had numerous signal callers over the years including Drew Bledsoe and lately Tyrod Taylor has shown promise. San Francisco only decent QB the last decade or so has been Colin Kaepernick and even he could be on his way out. The Rams are finally trying rookie Jared Goff they haven't had hope since Marc Bulger left. Chicago could be moving on from Jay Cutler. Jax are striking out with Blake Bortles.

This team is finally heading in the right direction. We have a new GM that just had one of the teams best drafts in years along with a young QB that is breaking many franchise records including most TD's in a season. The main plus out of all this is we have found our QB for at least the next dozen years.

We aren't quite there yet but sit back and enjoy the ride for however long it lasts.......

#1 mike75, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    • High Five High Five x 5
    • Cheers Cheers x 5
  2. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

The End.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We've had near zero production from the second no round. Let's no get carried away about the quality of the draft. But I agree we're Definitely on the up.

4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Let's face it, an elite QB will take you far. since week 5 of this year, MM has been playing close to (if not at) an elite level.

The good news is, it really seems like his struggles from the 1st few weeks were related to unfamiliarity with the new offense, players and coaches. With some continuity, and a full year under his belt in this system, he should be able to hit the ground running next year, and really take command of the O.

More good news is that he seems to be improving in his areas of weakness quite rapidly. He still has some areas that need improvement (like every young QB), but I have no doubt that he will continue to get better.

MM will get a lot of people paid on this team, including coaches and GM. A great QB makes everything look good ... Mariota isn't quite to that point, but I think he will be there very soon.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Im going to ruin this thread by bringing up the native american genocide.

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

#banned

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Good read and as a long time fan, I'm also excited for the future of this franchise as it appears they're finally turning a corner.

Couple things though,
    -Seattle is actually 1-2 in SB since 2003, losing in 05', winning in 13', losing in 14'.
    -Cincy is one of the best turnaround stories as a franchise in NFL history. I give Marvin Lewis a lot of credit for taking the NFL's laughing stock with bust draft after bust draft and turning them into a highly competitive team all around. They compete highly in arguably the toughest division in the NFL. HOWEVER, due to their total under performance this year, I think Lewis needs to see the ax and we'll see if Cincy can continue on the right path with their first coaching change post the franchise turnaround.
    -to not derail the entire point of your post, I'm not going to argue the franchise QB about VY, but that I disagree he was one.
    -SF has had a couple good QB's in the last decade. I may be a couple years off, but Jeff Garcia was an excellent QB and actually holds the franchise single season yards and TD over the HoFers. I know Alex Smith also rides under the radar as a really good QB too. I think SF set up there failures by making the wrong decision about moving on to Kap over Smith.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

• LOL LOL x 2
  9. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Cheers! I'm with you buddy. I wouldn't trade the Titans for anything in the world.

Cut my body open, I bleed two tone blue.

Titans are with me always.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar