Give it to me straight

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by i82much, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Yes we do pride ourselves on getting to the QB. That is true.

How many times when we do get there is it from any other postion other than defensive line? Why do something that we never do when we are playing fine?

How many plays did they "make" on us? A handful at best? You guys are acting like we gave up 30 points. I will say that the only time we looked vulnerable, THE ENTIRE GAME, was with 3:00 remaining.

???????????????? What! We kept our opponent to 13 points! WTF are you talking about. Maybe our defense should just assume some games that our offense won't score a point. Then if they let anyone score over a fieldgoal it will be considered a letdown. Yeah that makes sense. About as much sense as a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on.

We averaged something like 14 points a game in the regular season. Sure we didn't come up with the big flashy plays like interceptions and fumbles but we played very very sound defense. That should be more than enough. And like I said, basically all 13 points came off of three big plays. WE PRETTY MUCH HAD OUR WAY THE ENTIRE GAME. Did you see the rushing stats for Baltimore in week 5? Something like 150. How about the divisional game? We held them in check for almost an entire game besides three big plays.

I am at a loss for this paragraph. It's meaningless.

???? Again this makes no sense. To coach is to put your players in the best spot possible to make a play. Never once did we get beat because our scheme was bad but rather because players, who were in postion, didn't come up with a play they should have and regularly do. Just like Coach Fisher said at his press conference, 9/10 times Harper would have picked that Heap catch. And what about Finnegan falling on the Clayton catch? Our pro bowl CB falling while in position.

No my friend, when these types of rare occurences are happening I think the worst possible thing to do would be to overeact and attempt to change a gameplan that by all means was working fine.

Ahh yes. Because the Tennessean is saying this in hindsight it must be true. Yes Pittsburgh won because they blitzed and we lost because we played passive. Right. What were Flacco's numbers for the game. Not very pretty.

The Titans were number one but we didn't lose because we didn't blitz. There was about 20 things that could have went our way in which none did. We lost because of a couple big defensive and offensive mishaps ( pretty much none of which had to do with game calling ).

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Why keep doing something that isn't working?
    Damn. Talk about me making no sense. Go look in the mirror.

You can take all that mumbo jumbo you just wrote and spin it however you like. The bottom line is: the Ravens had more points than us at the end of that game. Guess what that means? They win, we lose, we go home for the season.
    I don't see how it gets any simpler than this:
    -we didn't pressure Flacco; he made those 'a handful at best' plays on us
    -Pittsburgh DID pressure Flacco. Whether it was from blitzing, cover-2, or what have you. They got pressure on him. We didn't. Soooo, that brings us back to 'what we were doing defensively was NOT working'.
    We also had our share of penalties...on both sides of the ball. Dunno about you but the last time I checked, if a defense or offense is incurring an unusual amount of penalties, their gameplan isn't working. Example, you call an 'engage eight' play; if someone gets called offsides, that play didn't work, because one of the defensive players ruined that play with the penalty call.
    You can't execute the play when a flag is thrown.
    Am I putting this all on the defense, not in the absolute least. The offense had their share of **** ups too.

3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

If your happy with the pressure or should i say lack of pressure that we put on JF then thats your opinion but those handful of plays could of all been prevented if we put some heat on the QB. You dont sit back on the 3rd and long and hope the QB makes a mistake,you put him in a situation where hes forced to make a mistake espically a rookie QB. Why do you think JF looked awful against the Steelers? Its not because the Steelers defense is better then ours, its because they made him feel uncomfortable every time he dropped back,which in the end resulted in sacks,hits, and int's which ironically was our bread and butter going into that game.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I liked A Fightin'Titan's post. He's right about a lot there. You can try to split hairs TBC_titan but it's true that the offense lacked the fire power to win the game and the defense was a bit passive. Then there was some crap luck with the officiating... add to that the Ravens had penalties too... 12 penalties? Well they had 8.. how about 3 offensive turnovers? That's what cooked our goose. It was execution! Not game call!

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I don't really think it's that simple. The ravens had a better defense than ours and a we had a better offense. So to say that the team with the better defense won because they gave up less points is on OUR offense makes no sense. They gave up less and they scored more. So if our defense would've played up to their Schwartz-like rating, they wouldn't have given up 13 points to a mediocre at best offense like the Ravens. The Ravens Defense forced turnovers, we didn't, that goes to the Defense not the offense. We never handed them the ball on those turnovers, even KFCs INT, he was pressured and had to get rid of the ball way before he wanted to. Why didn't we do that to Flacco? The team gets the loss, but from a numbers standpoint, we knew their defense was good, we just didn't think our defense would let us down against their crappy offense.:irked:

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

but their defense intentionally injured the catalyst of our offense... so they won because they took our man out, our fire power... we couldn't overcome them at the diminished capacity so we didn't score enough to keep pace... add to that the turnovers... it wasn't enough. Their offense was better than ours was without Chris Johnson. Our defense held them to an acceptable number of points. Tennessee should have scored about 10 more points than they did. Baltimore had no answer for Chris Johnson... except to take him out.

7. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Quit acting like Pittsburgh's defense did something that ours didn't. The Ravens scored 13 points against us, and they scored 14 against Pittsburgh. So if you look at the points, our defensive scheme worked better.

Pittsburgh's offense scored 23 points; ours scored 10. That's why Pittsburgh beat Baltimore and that's why we didn't.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

C'mon man, the Steelers caused how many turnovers against the Ravens? Gave up a huge punt return that turned into points, and the Ravens had excellent field position a couple of times. What they did was force the issue against Flacco and that's why they won. When they needed to make a play on Defense, Polamalu picks one and takes it to the house because they brought pressure instead of sitting back and allowing him to find an open reciever.

The only way you can look at the Defense and say the scheme worked better is to see who won. Our Defensive scheme didn't work better because we allowed more points than we scored.

9. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

If our defense holds any opponent to 13, no matter how they do it, then we should win the game. Pittsburgh's defense was flashy, and they made some big plays. And they still allowed virtually the same number of points as we did. If Pittsburgh's offense turns it over on their two long drives like ours did, they lose 14-10. My point is, you can't blame the defensive strategy for the loss. You can't expect your defense to win a game where your offense does everything they can to give it away. Yeah, the Steelers won and their defense played great. But if Pitt's offense had done what ours did, they would have lost too.

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

You mean like how they beat Baltimore and we didn't? You win as a team and you lose as a team.
    Yeah OK. I'll get right on not acting like their Defense didn't do anything.

I'm glad you conveniently left out the fact that we had three turnovers and almost 100 yards in penalties too (from BOTH sides of the ball). But turnovers and penalties NEVER have any influence on how a game turns out. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar