Ginn

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by theprizdfighter, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I don't have a problem with Ginn. But a receiver of his ilk is not worth any more than a 3rd rounder in the Titans offense.

We have an identity, It is power running game behind our revamped O-line and our star QB making half a dozen big plays each game either with his legs or his arm. We are not a pass happy football team and a receiver like Ginn is not a good fit for us. For starters, he will be a liability in the run game as a blocker and for our team that is not acceptable.

By the end of last year we got our offense to a point where we could run the ball effectively, even when the defense knew it was coming. Priority number 1 has to be to stop the run when we know it's coming and we weren't even close to being able to do that last year.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Understand a few things.

First, it's not an all or nothing thing. It's very unlikely Ginn is EITHER the next Jerry Rice or can't hold a job in the NFL.

Second, not all players fit teams equally.

Third, liking a player in college is all well and good, but would you be rooting for him (against the Titans) if he went to the Colts?

Ginn doesn't have great hands. He has avg hands..which is a problem if he's gonna be a GO TO (#1) WR. Another problem is he doesn't appear to like going across the middle (loses concentration). He also isn't great at running routes (which is needed in the NFL when you can't simply run away from every CB). If he was only avg at one of things and good-very good at everything else, it'd be one thing. But unfortunately, the reverse is true. He's avg at most things except speed and explosiveness.

He's also not particularly strong or big so he might have problems getting off the press and he's not a particularly good run blocker.

The Titans are never gonna throw the ball 40 times a game every game so he's not gonna get a ton of opportunities. However, his big play potential is exciting...except that potential is tempered by his hands, route running and how well he'll run block the 30+ plays we're running it.

Ginn would probably be a perfect fit for the Colts or Detroit in Martz's system. He'd play in a lot of 3 WR sets and wouldn't have to go over the middle much (unless it was a deep post).

We'd be a better fit for a Dwayne Bowe who's an excellent run blocker and a BIG target for our QB to hit. Bowe also goes over the middle. He also doesn't have great hands, but he's pretty good at everything else (though guys who don't have great hands make me nervous).

If you look at Ginn, he doesn't have the stuff of a #1 WR except his awesome speed. Problem is, we've had plenty of guys with that kind of speed and they haven't been able to get it done from Chris Sanders to Calico.

So Ginn is a BIG Gamble on Greatness pick. He could very well develop into the next Steve Smith (who also went in the 3rd rnd I believe because of similar questions and smaller size) or be a Dante Hall. If I knew what Hall and Smith would become, I'd take Smith in rnd 1, but I wouldn't take Hall til rnd 3 at the earliest. So do you gamble with your first pick on greatness and with a fair chance he ends up as a backup player, or do you take a better fit who's less of a risk at 'busting'?

Of course, any player including CJ can bust...but it's the gamble on greatness picks that usually are very good or not much help!

Gut

3. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

i see Ginn being like a Mike Williams, or the other WR the lions drafted, great college WR, average NFL WR, I think he'll be defined as a average #2 when its all said and done, youll see flashes of greatness, but most recievers have a few great games in their career

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Except Ginn is the opposite of Williams. Williams is big, slow but has great hands. Ginn is small, blazing fast but has questionable hands. What Ginn does have is he can be a great return man and we might be in the market for one now.

5. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

That's not worth a first round pick, the question is whether or not he has more than that, I think he has potential to be a number one for us in two years, he'd be our #2 next season, my question is will he be there at 19

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Surely there are other decent returners in the later rounds?

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think Dwayne Jarrett is actually a more likely pick for us, especially if we lose Bennett. Bowe is a good fit as well.

I'm not opposed to Ginn at all, and I'm not opposed to drafting him in round one either. I know he can return kicks, and occasionally his hands will come up with the big play. I think he will have some trouble getting off the line, though, at times. I think the same of Jarrett, but I think he has the best hands outside of CJ.

I like Meachem, though. Maybe not as great a college rep as the other guys, but to me he put in a lot of good work this past year, and that's what I like to see. He's a guy I would consider, if the current positions stay the same, trading down for, and picking up an extra pick or two. That could be kind of smart, especially if he is the best fit for us.

So, to sum up so far, if Drew goes, I think Dwayne Jarrett might be used to fill his gap. About as tough, about as fast, but I think DJ might come up with a few more big plays over the years. Problem: not adding top speed to the position, questionable toughness.

Dwayne Bowe, physical receiver, good all around talent. Decent speed, decent hands, really good blocker. Problem: what happens if David Givens returns? Aren't they the same guy?

Ted Ginn, Jr, adds speed we've lacked, gives us a two-sided return game (playing a short field for much of a game could be real nice), might stretch the field for the rest of the O even if he doesn't catch many passes. Problem: won't work out at the Combine due to injury, might not work out at the pro day, will be a bigger risk from that standpoint, will likely have trouble getting off the line (more straight line than wiggle, but I could be wrong here) and does he even want to play the position? I'm all for gambles cuz "I love it when a plan comes together," but it's still a big question mark.

Robert Meachem - good all around receiver, physical, good speed, works hard, and became very clutch this year, plus room to grow. Problem: are we adding ones or twos? I can't tell. Would have to "rise" to the #19 spot to be taken. That's why I think he's possible in a trade-down. So is Ginn if he falls to due injury questions, which might not be a bad thing as it may allow us to add more playmakers.

I'd love to go D at #19, BUT there is one DT, two S, one LB, a couple of CBs I don't even want to have to consider and a big ? on DE. By contrast, there are 4 receivers worthy of consideration, and whether you like them or not, they are worthy of consideration. I'd say it's about 2:1 odds we go defense, but about a 1 in 3 chance that our first round pick is a receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar