Ghost of Draft Past, Vikes Miss two Picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by NewHorizans, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

I just saw this on NFL Network last night when they went through the Top 10 Best Draft Moments. One of them I had no memory of happening as I was still in College at the time. But the Vikings literally MISSED both their 1st round picks in 2002 AND 2003. And this was back when the clock was 15 mins and not 10 like now.

I had no idea this ever happend or what the outcome was when it does. But it turns out when you don't get your pick in by the time the clock finishes, the team below you can immediately put in their pick and STEAL next guy on the board. Then if you STILL don't have the pick in, the next team can continue to do the same thing.

Both times the Vikes were trying to make trades and they took too much time and had miss communication between the war room and the Draft floor itself. In 2002, the Chiefs were behind them, and literally stolen the player the Vikes had wanted to get. In 2003, it was worse because two teams behind the Vikings got picks in ahead after their time ran out. But that year, the Vikes got lucky and ended up with DT Kevin Williams who ended up being a Pro Bowl DT for years. Blind Luck!!

Can you even imgaine if this happened in today's NFL? GMs would be losing jobs before the season even starts.

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Haha I saw that as well. Thought it was pretty funny actually. Poor guys couldn't figure it out...

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Oh I remember that. God what a moron Mike Tice is lol

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

That's hilarious, silly Vikings.

You think they would have a big board, the player you want gets drafted... you instantly lock in the next guy on your big board. Make trade calls, if nothing is set with 30 seconds left, lock in your pick. How hard is that?

Although, judging by the Jaguars war room they might do it this year.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Mike Tice was doing his best to make Matt Millen fell better by showing that there is an even bigger moron running an NFL team than Millen.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I clearly remember those drafts. Chris Berman was going nuts LOL

It was a super fast 1st round too, all the teams behind Minnesota rushed up to make their picks.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

I can't believe in the big stage that is the NFL someone could screw up that bad. You have months and months and months to prepare. You have a team of guys working to help you. Scouts with notes, and yes you should have made a big board. AND you get 15 mins, not 5, or 10 like now but 15! No excuse. I bet the Vikings were scared when the time changed to 10 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar