George Blanda 1927 - 2010

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

Hall of Fame QB Blanda dies at 83 (AP)

The Oakland Raiders say Hall of Fame quarterback George Blanda has died. He was 83. A Raiders' spokesman confirmed the death Monday. The team is expected to release a statement later Monday. Blanda spent 26 seasons in the NFL as a quarterback and kicker while playing for three different teams. He spent 10 seasons with Chicago, seven with the Houston Oilers and nine with the Raiders before retiring... LINK

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He must of seen the Raiders game yesterday.

R.I.P. George

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

The first franchise QB for a franchise seemingly blessed at the QB position has passed away at the age of 83. I'm pretty sure that none of us recall seeing Blanda play (especially for the Oilers), but his place amongst the greats in the history of this franchise is unquestioned. Blanda (along with Billy Cannon), was the first face of the franchise and led the team to consecutive AFL titles in 1960 and 1961.

From Wiki

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

83 years. Pro Football HOF.

Cheers George on a life well lived!

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I remember seeing him play when I was a kid. He's most memorable to me as kicker with the Raiders as opposed to playing QB. His longevity probably will never be equalled.

RIP George, you were the last of your breed.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I have a George Blanda football card when he was a kicker for the Raiders. I must have gotten it in a pack around '74. I remember then thinking "this guy looks old enough to be a grandpa".

I see he has a TD pass that season—his 25th season. He was 47 at the time. I didn't know he played at Kentucky either.

6. Chapparal97

Jeff, I forgot about cards.....you prompted me to dig up some oldies....Gale Sayers, Jan Stenerud, Gene Washington and OJ Simpson from 1970...........Bob Hayes, John Hadl and the immortal Steve Spurrier from 1972......among others. I've got a Blanda somewhere, just need to find it.

7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I watched the NFL pretty avidly as a wee kid so I actually do have some sketchy recollections of seeing old George playing for the Raiders. I do remember him coming in off the bench and playing QB... and looking ancient (but effective). I wonder if that was the game that he threw the TD pass detailed on the back of Jeff's card. He's got a bio that I'd like to read. It's pretty obvious Blanda and Bud had a falling out at some point. Once he left the Oilers, Blanda never looked back... he embraced the Raiders; I don't recall him ever wearing Oilers gear after he stopped playing in Houston. It bothers me that he's always mentioned as a Raider first despite the fact that his success at QB was almost entirely with the AFL's Oilers.

8. Chapparal97

I think you're right, he's mostly associated with the Raiders, not the Oilers. The Al Davis of the 60's and 70's is a far cry from the Davis of today. Raider players loved him as a coach and as owner back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar