GATFT: McNair vs. Wycheck

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jul 23, 2008.

?

GATFT: McNair vs. Wycheck

Poll closed Jul 28, 2008.
  1. Steve McNair

57.1%
  2. Frank Wycheck

42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I agree, but his career far outweighs that mishap.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

He was unwilling to re-negotiate and/or be a back-up-mentor for Vince. He gave the franchise alot until '04 then he was "coasting" IMO trying to avoid an injury that would prevent another decent contract. I'd feel differently if he had at least been willing to come down a bit. There wasn't any way we could beat (or even closely match) the Raven's offer without further gutting the team/cap.

Mcnair left for the money when he could have stayed and mentored Young. That strongly supports The Mrs. statement that he really played for himself.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There is no player in the NFL who DOESN'T play for himself.

McNair wanted one last payday and the opportunity to start for a few more seasons. He knew he'd get backup money if he stayed because everyone knew the Titans were going to draft the QB of the future.

I'd loved him to stay but I don't blame him one bit for not accepting less than what he felt he was worth.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree with you TJ. I only mention it because MANY folks feel the organization really did McNair wrong, when IMO, it went both ways. The fact that he did "run for the money" taints his legendary status with the organization IMO.

5. TitanJeff

It stinks but it's all about business. The NFL is entertainment.

These things always cut both ways. How can anyone question McNair's loyalty to the Titans when he put himself "on the line" continuously for years? At the same time, the Titans rewarded him well.

The Titans organization handled the ending poorly as they have many before. But few teams seem to be able to deal with vets on the backside of their careers very well. Pride seems to take over for both sides.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Pride and money... are they often the same thing?

7. TitanJeff

:yes:

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

No brainer..

A near HOF QB always trumps a near HOF TE.

The real debate would be between eddie and wycheck and who did the most. Steve was our QB!

Imagine asking who the more important player is today for the titans. VY or crumpler. Pretty obvious answer no?

Who would a colt fan vote for manning or harrison?

Always the QB gets the nod when talking about 2 comparable players..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Wycheck always a titan! So the hell what? He got a concussion and had to retire! Had he stuck around long enough he would have outpriced his usefulness and maybe done what eddie did.

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I never really had any love for McNair although I can't really explain why.

His toughness while unquestionable was also his achiles heel.

I was disapointed in how things were handled when he left but as it turned out it was the right decision.Had he gone to the Ravens & played good football Titans fans would be more bitter about it.

He went to Baltimore & played like we thought he would.Had he stayed our rebuilding would have taken longer,the price of retaining him was just too high for what he had to offer.

Hope,Thornton,Givens & Mawae coming here were all made possible by McNair being shown the door.

He was caught in a Catch22 because of our/his cap scenario with him on the roster.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar