Garrard or Vince? Who do you want to build NFL team?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nate42104, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

and the comparisons to the second year qbs is kind of bogus, because they all aren't very good, which says we made the right choice in drafting vince, but that's not the question.

In 2008, I would rather have Garrard. It seems like last year, excluding the saints game and a few others, that Collins when he was put in, looked better than Vince. I'm a homer too, but I know when to admit that someone else's QB is better than mine right now.
    In 3 years, this could be different, but right now, it seems like Garrard is light years ahead. And Garrard did not have an outstanding WR corps last year by any means.

2. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I understand that and vince has room for significant improvement. Do you think he's reached his full potential? And I'm not saying that vince is better than garrard right now. The question was who would you want to build an nfl team around. Garrard will probably be better this year also but building a team is not about one year.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Of course not but i doubt of vince will ever be a great passer in this league and will probably never do what mcnair did in having a 100 passing rating.

Our best bet with vince is for him to be an average passer and the great runner. Like mcnair from 1998-2002. But remember mcnair stopped being an effective runner around age 30.

Garrard is still young enough to give you 4 more quality years so given that i would take the guy who is already good over the guy who potentially could be very good maybe even better.

Remember that running QBs fizzle out at around 30 it happened to mcnair, mcnabb, culpepper and cunningham and vince is already 25.

4. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Steve young was good until 37. Mcnabb is still good, i'm not sure what you're talking about there. Cunningham was all-pro at 35 although he hadn't been good the previous few years. Mcnair was good in baltimore until last year. And culpepper got fat and out of shape, hopefully vince won't do that. And vince has shown more signs of being a good passer at 25 than garrard had so what makes you think he can't be just as good as him at passing?

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Two years isn't enough time to make a long-term projection about a QB.

A while back, I posted the 2nd year statistics for every HOF QB in the last 20 years. In a direct comparison of their stats and VY's stats, Young ranked right in the middle of the pack. Several guys performed better than Vince, but there were several very notable names (including Steve Young, Troy Aikman, and Warren Moon) whose 2nd-year numbers were as bad or worse than Vince's numbers thus far.

Believe it or not, great QB's are not made in two years....or even three or four years. There have been some very notable QB's played well in year two, then played poorly in year three. (Favre and Roethlisberger come to mind). We'd like the process to be steady, methodical improvement....but it's not.

When a team makes a significant investment in a young QB, they do so with the understanding that it will take at least 3-4 years before he's anything close to being a finished product. During that time, he's going to have his ups and downs.....that's how it works. Patience is the name of the game. Find me a team that has no patience with young QB's, and I'll show you a team that has had crap QB's for 10 years.

It took Garrard six years to finally put it together.....someone explain to me why Vince is expected to get there in only two.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

vince and it is not even close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually the jags have used several first rounders on wr's. We refuse to put weapons around vince and did the same to Mcnair. Crumpler will help but vince does not have a 1 or a 2 wr, give him weapons and some time and then compare. Vince is going to thrive with dinger, bottlegs 50 percent of the time and playing to his strengths. Give vince 2 years and some players and it will not even be close

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

So far, VY hasn't had the accuracy to throw to a #1 receiver.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and how many touchdowns did we score with collins at the helm?

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Compare interceptions as well...

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i didn't mean how many did he throw, just how many did we score as an offense(the answer is two in 6 quarters, btw)

i think that houston game when we kicked 8 FGs was chow's death sentence. it showed our problems in the red zone were not all on the qb, since collins scored tds at the same rate as young with the same weapons.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar