Gage Has Broken Bones In Back

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titansfan89, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

Titans receiver Justin Gage said his crash-landing after a leaping grab against the 49ers was worth the pain. Now he knows the price — he fractured multiple small bones in his back when he landed.

Gage won’t play in this Sunday’s game against the Bills as a result of the injury, and is expected to miss a few weeks.

Rookie Kenny Britt is expected to move into the starting lineup against the Bills. The Titans are also expected to make a roster move, probably calling rookie receiver Dominique Edison up from the practice squad...

Read More

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Oh man, now the VY haters will surely spit out some nonsense now.

3. earlers

earlers Camp Fodder

Yeah...Bean has already started on another board.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Wow, that sounds really bad. Luckily, it seems like it sounds worst than it is.

5. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

What, it was this board that I said it was a hospital catch on, and got whined at.

Evidently I was right. You can throw a jump ball that doesn't need to put the receiver at that much extension, that was my main point.

On jump balls you want your receiver to be hit at their hip at the most, other wise you get the helicoptering and crap and the receiver can't take the impact with the ground as well. We aren't fricken cats who always land on their feet, ya know?

That was my response to all the people who said it was an awesome throw by Vince who put it only where the receiver can get it.

I am basically saying, yes, he did put it there, but at what cost to the receiver. You do that too much and all of a sudden receivers will not be willing to go up for it cause every time they will have in the back of their mind that they are possibly ending their career.

6. Doubleones

Doubleones Palatial Regalia

^
    it was a decent throw, but come on seriously?
    receivers are supposed to go get the ball at the highest point. it was a great catch. it sucks he got hurt doing it, but thats football, there's no one to blame.

and if receivers stop going after the ball, then thats bad news, because thats what receivers are supposed to do, and when a wr is timid thats when they're of no use.

a great play by gage and young and an unfortunate outcome was gage got hurt. But you honestly cannot tell me Young shouldn't have thrown the ball soooo high (wah) or that wr's will be now scared to take hits when the jump.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. DJB

DJB Starter

Kerry Collins would have never done that to Gage.....shame on you Vince Young...next time you throw a ball 40 yards downfield make sure it's at the hip to avoid the helicoptor effect.....it's not that hard to do.;)

8. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Yes it was. And I was one of those critics. Still am. This doesn't change my stance one iota.
    Wanna bet that Gage doesn't regret going up and getting that?

I never said it was an awesome throw per se. My theory is that Vince had two defenders in his face, saw Gage and the two DBs down field and chucked it harder and higher than normal so 1. he could get rid of it w/o getting flagged for I.G. and 2. that if Gage couldn't go up and get it, that the two DBs weren't going to get it either.

If they're not willing to go up and get it, their career will end soon enough because they will refuse to go up and get it, their coaches will see that and eventually release them. Next team might pick them up, only to see that he refuses to go above and beyond for their team and that team cuts him. This would prolly go on until no one wanted them.
    The job does have its risks. And given most NFL players are paid pretty dang well for their services, they have no reason not too. If they have that 'I can't jump for this ball because I might get injured and end my career' mindset, then they don't belong in the league anyway. Every player is potentially one play away from ending their career.

9. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

That's kind of ironic, Gage couldn't catch a ball thrown right at his numbers on a 5 yard dump off for weeks on end and when he finally does decide to "go the extra mile" he ends up getting hurt. What happens if he goes back to "butter fingering" the ball when he comes back in a couple weeks? I'm curious, if the receivers go back to dropping easy catches again in the future will that be VY's fault or will it be the receivers fault next time? Last time it was because KC was in...right...???

10. iQon

iQon Starter

I take it you've never played the position. Anytime you leave your feet, you run the risk of getting dumped like that. Period.

Bad throw. Great catch. Good call to bring up Edison for some potential game reps. And Britt moving to the starting lineup is one of the best things they could have done. Hopefully he bumps Gage to 2/3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar