Fuller over Hope

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by avespucci, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

What are everyone's thoughts on Fuller taking over Hope's starting spot when JMac is back and healthy.

Just like everyone else, I've loved Fuller as our nickel back, because he's played well and quite honestly we didn't have any other option.

Now that we see that both Verner and JMac can ball the next weakest part of our secondary IMO is Hope. He's been a great player for a long time, but he seems to be declining and becoming a liability. I know our coaching staff has always been big on keeping vets past their prime, but I have to think Fuller is an upgrade.

What's everyone think?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Nope. Other than the one play against the Broncos he's played well.

3. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

I think Fuller is the wise safety we need to play his role (since he plays it so well). The one thing I could foresee is Schommer or RoJo taking over but not this year. I think the team knew Hope was on the decline (Taking a safety in the 5th is fairly high if you have a lot of faith in your safeties. We took Rusty right afterwards and obviously we're looking at one or possibly both QBs leaving in the next two years.) and they've set themselves up for a battle this offseason. I like Schommer now but who knows how RoJo progresses this offseason. The guy had the same allure to him as Verner (with the play-making ability) and he can clearly hit judging by ST.

I think if Hope goes down, Fuller is in. If it comes down to Schommer/RoJo though, this year it's Schommer, next year it's RoJo.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

As much as Michael Griffin was talking up Robert Johnson during training camp & preseason, Robert Johnson may be the next best for the position. Fuller lacks some things to me for him to be our safety, but he's good as a nickle back. I've noticed over the past 20 games, Hope has become more and more average. He still sticks his nose in box, but once he shows he's ready for the run, he can't make up ground fast enough to stop long passes. If I had to grade him, I'd say Hope is "B" right now. I don't want him in there come the time he's a "C" grade. By then everyone will have of picked him apart.

5. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Robert Johnson might be next in line but he needs to bulk up. They guy is a stringbean. Strong Safety needs to be able to support the run and I can't envision him doing that consistently at his current size.

6. Woy

Woy PA's finest.

I wish Myron would get better so he can have that job in the future.

7. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

Alright.. so was expecting these types of responses which begs the next question:

If upon his return Fish gives JMac his starting job.. what do we do with Verner?

Do we start him as the nickel corner over Fuller?

I think we'd all agree that our top 5 DBs are:
    Finny
    JMac
    Fuller
    Verner
    Griffin

but having Hope on the field puts one of those guys on the bench for (barring injury) will be probably 75% of the snaps the rest of the year (only time they'd play is when teams come out in 4 WR sets)

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

In that order, no.
    By the way Verner has been tackling lately, he can take the safety role. He's not built like Hope, but he's faster, and more likely to pick one off for six.

9. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

I like verner where he is now, I think they should keep him there.

10. avespucci

avespucci Practice Squad

Yes that was in no particular order (would never put Griffin last if it was).. from the scouting reports on Verner his knock was that he wasn't a sure tackler so not sure about him at safety.

I guess my thing is that.. regardless of him playing nickel corner and doing so at a high level for 3+ yrs.. we've never changed his position to CB, instead leaving the safety tag with Fuller.

If that's where he's better suited then so be it.

My gut tells me Fish is giving JMAC back the starting job and the fact that Verner is moving to be our 4th corner and barely going to see the field doesn't sit well with me.

That's why I'm offering Vinny taking over for Hope

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar