Front office action thoughts

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fishman35, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Wow, this may set the record for bad arguments made in a three page thread.

First, I'd prefer to refuse to address the racing simile, mostly because I know nothing about racing. However, it's too bad. We'll get overrun because we don't have superstars? We're a bunch of "average joes?"

The whole premise of this is a bad argument. We have quite a few really solid players. Roos, Stewart, Finnegan, Haynesworth (I'm just working with last year's roster), Bulluck, Hope, Griffen, Mawae, and Johnson are all really solid players. I'd be happy to argue that all are top 5 at their position, with the possible exception of Johnson, but the jury is still out until his career develops. If you don't think that we have enough power with those players, then you really are talking about an incredibly select few "superstars". Those listed -TO, Moss, Boldin, etc... are terrible examples because none of them has won a superbowl for their team. Also, given the rarity of availability of superstar players, it usually means that 1) something is wrong with them, and 2) their price is through the roof.

The other main flaw in this line of thinking is that it's all or nothing. We finished 13-3 last season and the top AFC seed. How is that a team that is going to get overrun by superstars? Yes, we went one and done in the playoffs, and you want to win a superbowl (as if the rest of us don't!) I seriously question the statement that you would prefer to not make the playoffs. If the only measure of success is a superbowl, then most teams are massive failures! It's really hard to win a superbowl, only 7 teams have done it this decade! I'll take the shot that we had starting the playoffs every time. I think that we'd win that game against the Ravens at least 7 or 8 out of 10 times. However, a significant part of football is luck because you only get one shot at it, as opposed to series playoffs that the NBA, NHL, and MLB have.

It's silly to act like we're a second rate team. We have some great talent, and part of the reason that we have it is because we haven't tied up major amounts of money resting our hopes on one "superstar" player.

I'm frustrated that we didn't win the superbowl last season. I thought that we had a really great shot at it. I honestly believe that we were in a great position going into the post season because of the core group of solid players that we've built up since 2004. I think this team has made major strides, especially given that we have two major disadvantages against us. The first was mentioned above, we're a small market, team-first franchise that doesn't break the bank, and several players have snubbed us even when we've made them the best financial offer (Stallworth). Also, we had our two highest draft picks from this decade do absolutely nothing for us last season. If Young turns it around, it's a whole different ball game, but if we don't end up getting any more production out of him, then that's a HUGE financial investment down the drain between Young and Pacman.

Given the circumstances following the cap purge, I'm impressed with how well this team has come together, and I'm hopeful for its future. I have no desire to blow that by tearing the team apart to sign a "superstar."

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Lava

Lava Camp Fodder

Of the last 9 Super Bowl champs, there have only been 6 different organizations. 6/32. You're acting like it's our god-given right to win the SB every 10 years or so. It's not. And you are the one who started comparing the Titans to other teams, not us.

I really don't see that it is necessary for the Titans to add a superstar WR in the run-first offense that we have. They proved last year that they could win without one, and bringing one in isn't going to help if the team chokes like we did last year in the playoffs.

3. TitansCollector

TitansCollector #9 GBNF

Dang, Daniel Snyder has tried to by a SB ring for years, when was the last time they made they playoffs? We just need to get some guys who can consistently catch the ball. It doesnt necessarily need to be one of the 5-10 highest paid players. Dropped passes, and WR's giving up on plays last year slowed us down. I dont remember how many balls it looked like McCarens pulled up on and it looked like it was 2 steps ahead of him.

4. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Yeah, and yours above just added to it. :rolleyes:

Are you gay, or a woman?
    Sounds like you know nothing about being a man either. Just sayin.
    I can't freakin stand NASCAR but I probably know as much about those cars as Nascar fans do.

Oh, and to split hairs, my explanation was a metaphor, not a similie. There is a difference.

At least our metaphors were like children's books with big illustrations for people to understand. Your argument is like a child trying to read a Cisco modular access router manual.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well, we didn't prove it because we didn't win when it counted.

And yeah, having a more legit WR might've made all the difference in the playoff game last year. We'll never know of course. But I think it would be foolish to state as fact that a WR would've made no difference.

6. GoTitans3801

Wow, I know I wrote a negative response to your posts, but that's a little bit over the personal attack line, in my opinion.

Congrats on knowing about cars, that's definitely the criteria for being "a man." Feel free to go on about that, but I'd rather talk about football. You failed to address any of the football arguments that I made, except for the namecalling, which is a violation of forum rules.

I'm familiar with the difference between a metaphor and a similie. Your final paragraph is made up of similies. I didn't go back to the first page when writing my post, so I didn't check for the words like or as.

If you want to talk about the long term football strategies, I'm all for it. If you want to continue the trash talk, take it to smack.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. GoTitans3801

It's also foolish to think that getting a "superstar" WR wouldn't come with a cost. Maybe we couldn't have franchised Albert. Maybe we couldn't have extended one of the three that we did last offseason. I'd rather have the team that we had, and give it another shot this season.

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Mason was our fifth wide receiver the year we went to the Super Bowl. He didn't play outside of special teams.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Don't be so afraid of the salary cap. We have wiggle room.

Signing a WR that costs some money will not immediately put us in salary cap purge or bankrupt the future of the team.

10. GoTitans3801

That's true, and I believe that's what we did with Washington, and what we were trying to do with Holt. However, signing a "superstar" will have significant consequences. Boldin wants at least 10 million per year, to match Fitz' contract. That's significant.

On a team with a defense and run heavy strategy like ours, putting a lot of money into the WR position isn't very efficient. We aren't going to have 1200 yard receivers, unless we're doing terrible and passing like crazy to catch up (see Bennett 2004).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar