From the View of a Jets Fan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jets526, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Fisher said his secondary, "Had a bad day at the office" in the Houston game.

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

If Finny annoy's a WR, then that means he is getting to them, gettin them off their game. I fail to see why you don't see that it's just as effective as covering them well. And me as a WR, would much rather have a CB play his finesse cover game than to throw me around and suplex me. Getting physical is going to wear a person down quicker than not. You get suplexed, thrown around and the wood laid to you enough times during a game, and you're going to feel it, regardless of how good a shape you are in.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The f-ing Titans better win this game. I did not spend $400 on tickets to see them lose. I will be furious if they don't go to bed 1-2 this Sunday. And if they do lose and don't play Vince I'm running onto the field and spearing Collins in his neck so that this can never happen again. At least a loss with VY in at QB is working towards something. When Collins sucks, he's just getting closer to death. He cant get better, only worse. I'm going to be the loudest S.O.B when Sanchez is in. He's gonna be like - "Who the hell is that? I can't hear a thing." Anyone know if they'll confiscate my air horn?

4. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Physicality and annoyance mainly works on weaker minded players who let that throw them off their game. It rarely works against elite receivers. No it is not just as effective because it is less likely to work. If you can cover, you can cover (Finny for the most part can, but not as good as Revis). As you said yourself, football is a physical sport so why would a little extra shoving from Finny get in a receiver's head? For the most part it doesn't. Hines Ward takes the hits from Finny and gets up smiling. Andre Johnson throws Finnegan around at the LOS and just gets even more fired up to score touchdowns on us. It has been the RARE occurrence that Finnegan has taken a receiver off their game. 2 years ago he got Steve Smith. MAYBE last year he got Derrick Mason, although Finnegan is the one that ended up with TWO personal foul penalties. That's all I can remember. I'm open to see more examples of where Finnegan's physicality actually impacted the outcome of a game or impacted an opposing receiver in a negative way. And again, Revis is physical. He is NOT a finesse player. Just not as physical as Finnegan. Note that he also doesn't have to try to be because he has 10-15 pounds on finnegan. Please don't think that I don't like Finnegan because I do. But Revis is the better all around player and I'm just acknowledging that.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Ward seems to be the type of WR that can withstand hits from anyone. That said, I've never, ever seen a CB play Ward as physical as Finny does. IF Ward has a CB match for him and his physical style of play, it's Finny.
    And I doubt Revis is as physical as him.
    And last time I checked, Smith and Mason were in the elite category. Plus, Ocho is also an elite WR (or used to be), and has an insane amount of respect for Finny.
    All that said, I'm not taking away from Revis at all. In fact, I can't comment that much on him because I haven't seen him play.
    It's also funny that they have almost identical stats from last season. So I'm just not ready to crown Revis over Finny.

Revis:
    http://www.nfl.com/players/darrellerevis/profile?id=REV515344

Finny:
    http://www.nfl.com/players/cortlandfinnegan/profile?id=FIN524193

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Welcome aboard!

jets526...

Welcome aboard! I live in New York and watch both the Jets and Giants even thought the Titans are my team.

Good comments though I would digress a bit on a few points. I do think Revis is as good a CB as there is in the NFL. When the Jets played man against the Pats he followed Moss all over the field, but the Jets also played zone and Revis stayed on the defensive left side...so the entire D gets some credit too. Also, against Andre Johnson in week 1, he had safety help or an underneath defender (while Revis played over top) about 65% of the time. Against Moss, I would say he had help over top less than 25% of the time...which should tell you who the Jets think is the more dangerous receiver (especially since Welker was out).

I don't think the Jets will man up Revis on any particular WR as they all have strengths and weaknesses...Gage is the best route runner and has the best chemistry with Collins...but he's slow. Washington is much faster and agile and looks to get deep...but hasn't been much of a factor. And then you have Kenny Britt who has Gage's size but is pretty fast and could have a breakout game...especially if matched with Lito or a 3rd CB and Kerry gives him chances down the field.

Furthermore, the most dangerous offensive player is Chris Johnson. With Scaife likely out and unless Cook is ready, CJ should be the Jets primary concern.

This won't be a trap game because the Jets won't have a let down...it's merely a question of whether the Titans can get their act together. While the Jets defense is GREAT and will vie for the league's best, the Titans in the playoffs had no problems moving the ball against Ryan's Ravens D. If not for turnovers, Titans win that game. The Titans Offense is much better than that team (though maybe not for Sunday without Scaife/Cook) but our pass defense has been dreadful.

The very interesting coaching decision will be how the Jets approach this game offensively. Last year, the Jets threw a million 5 yard passes and marched up and down the field against our D. But we know Ryan doesn't want to push Sanchez and risk him making a lot of mistakes. So will the Jets again play it conservative on offense like last week and rely on their defense until they can make halftime offensive adjustments or will the Jets open the passing attack from the Get-Go. Strategically, Ryan will want to try and run mixing in short passes...screens, flares and draw plays with the occasional playaction deep (post down the middle versus cover 2) or Sideline vs cover 3 or single safety high.

The Titans need to play pass first and rely on their pursuit to control the run game. The Titans can not give up big plays to TJ, LW, or in the passing game (or special teams) if they expect to win. The Jets defense afterall, has yet to give up an offensive TD. Offensively, they need Collins to complete short passes vs the blitz, not take sacks and our offense can not turn the ball over. Furthermore, we will have our shots to score...we have to catch every catchable ball and make every makeable block and not kill ourselves with penalties.

If I were the Jets, I'd have a similar gameplan as the NE game with one big exception...I'd start the game with 3 WR's...and go playaction deep (with a pump fake) on the first play with 7 blockers. The Jets have an excellent OL and the Titans DL hasn't been able to get much pressure against the Steelers (one of the worst OL's) and Texans (mediocre). I'd also do what the Steelers did successfully against the Titans...match Cotchery up with Harper 1v1. The Steelers did this by going bunch on their left and Santonio Holmes on the right. Since the Titans are stubborn and don't let their best cb (Finnegan) take the opposing WR, this allows opposing offenses to dictate coverages...advantage Offense.

This game is a head scratcher...could be a shootout since the Titans should be able to move the ball and get some big plays but can certainly allow the same. It could also be a low scoring affair since the Jets D has been awesome, the Titans could get their pass D together, and the Jets could be conservative on offense. I could see either team winning though there are more ways for the Jets to win than the Titans...unless the Titans can get a pass rush without bringing the house.

Enjoy the game!

Gut

7. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

As I stated in another Jets Thread: Come Sunday, Jets Fans will have a Dirty Sanchez on their hands.

Go Titans!

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Starter

I think you underestimate how physical Revis is. He jammed both Johnson & Moss at the line, he didn't do it everytime but he did it enough to keep them guessing and throw off their timing. He will cover & hit across the middle, plus, he's tough as heck coming on the corner blitz. He will also go in the air against any receiver and fight like heck to get the ball. Finnigan is an excellent player but there's little doubt that Revis is one of the top CB's in the league. GO JETS.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, I hate a Revis/Finnegan pissing match. They both deserve immense respect and Revis is really coming into his own. Finnegan is equally adept at the corner blitz, I'll just say, and what Revis did to Moss moreso than Johnson is eye-opening and worthy of all the credit he gets.

I guess that I feel, even standing apart from it, is that Finnegan is a pure revelation compared to Revis. Revis was a highly-touted first round draft pick, and Finnegan was considered a nobody that only the Titans felt was worth drafting. To see who wins by a nose, I'll just ask, who was the ProBowl starter for the AFC last year, and who was the reserve? :wink2:

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

The Jet fans will be hung out to dry.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar