Freeney

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Freeney is a restricted FA right? Just how does that work, my understanding is the Dolts would have the right to match any offer. Does that mean the contracts would have to be exactly the same ie. up front money, years and total $$$? If so then could the Titans or any other of the teams with a lot of $$$ to throw around write said contract in a way that would make it difficult for the dolts to match?

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

They have to match our offers to take him from them or they can just let him sign. Him being a RFA gives the Colts the right to match. Remember that all of the teams are getting money this year. I think the cap is heading somewhere upwards of 108 million; something like that. I'm not so sure we really have all that much money. I would be very surprised if the Titans were in the top 5.

3. Big TT

My understanding is that we have at least 30 million and I have heard Reese say "up to" 41 million to spend I suppose depending on restructures they expect and the like.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, we'll have about 40 million, but a lot of other teams will have a lot of money also thanks to the new collective bargaining agreement.

5. MattPan25

MattPan25 Guest

freeney would be nice plus it would be hurtin the colts just like we have thorton now. what about charles grant...pretty sure hes a fa with the saints this yr. he would be a solid de.

6. Freeney is an unrestricted FA. But they are going to use the franchise tag on him so that they can either keep him or get some real compensation for him.

If a team signs a franchise player (which has never happened in my knowledge), the original team can either match the offer or let him go and take 2 1st round draft picks from the new team.

As for RFAs, the system is basically the same. The only difference is that the compensation isn't as high and depends on where the player was drafted and how high a tender the team offers the RFA before free agency.

7. Big TT

Still might be worth doing, basically we gave a 1st for Kevin Carter to the Lambs. IMO Feeney would be a far better pickup.

8. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

If they are gonna tag Freeney, it's gonna cost them. Even with the increase in cap in 2007, they're already near the edge.

9. Not for our next 2 1st round picks. It was only worth it for carter because it was such a late pick and because we were a team at the top in need of a DE trying to win now.

10. thnom

thnom Camp Fodder

No thankyou. I read somewhere (I was pissed last night when reading it) but Freeney takes himself out of SO many plays, he's the #1 reason there rush D is so bad. He said that it may be better to get rid of Freeney and get more better players for the same money. I won't be happy with Freeney, one trick pony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar