Free Online Storage? PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Gear' started by VolnTitan, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

OK....need some help here. My daughter is in Europe for 3 months and I thought, being a good dad, I would digitize her favorite shows and post them up on a site so she could download the .mov file and watch her programs. I posted it up on an site we use at work, but it isn't working for her. So I thought I would try a free online storage/sharing service and see if that works. Here is what I need:

1) Free.

2) ability to upload at least 200 mb. file or more.

3) work with Macs.

Any advice you can give. Looked at Adrive and Xdrive, but don't know much about them.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

For an hour show, you're probably talking 350 mb or more.

I don't know of a free service which would work. Your business server would probably still be the best route if you can set up for her an ftp folder and she use Transmit or another ftp program to get to the files.

How long does it take to get a DVD to her?

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Actually, I can get a hour show down to about 125 mb with decent quality. We have nice machines where I work ;)

We have a web based approval site where we post videos for clients to view all the time, but for some reason when she starts downloading them, she gets an error message. Not sure if it is because she is in France and maybe the university is doing something or not. She is still trying to get the Internet hooked up in her room. Let's just say that efficiency isn't a big part of the French Educational System.

I see this company, Adrive, gives you 50gb storage with a limit of 2gb file upload, which would be great. Just not sure how well it works. Maybe I need to sign up for the .mac trial and see how that works.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've been thinking about getting a MobileMe account. It comes with 20GB so that might be perfect.

5. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I have also. Only reason to use it would be for file sharing for me. But want to make sure it works before I chunk down $100.

6. She could just download the shows from the piratebay if that's all you need it for...

7. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I thought of that, but with her being over there on campus, I just thought it would be better for me just to upload stuff for her, already converted so she can watch it on her laptop or even chuck it over to her ipod.

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Thanks Star. That looks very promising!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar