Free Agency Grades

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013recap.php

From Walter Football. Cool site. I get a kick out of the fact the site refers to Ron Mexico as QB Eagles No. 7:

Eagles restructure contract of QB Eagles No. 7: F Grade
    In general they are, like myself, not a fan of the Eagles offseason coaching hires.

Some other notable grades of interest
    For Titans signings:
    Titans sign S George Wilson (2 years, $4 million): A Grade
    Titans sign G Andy Levitre (6 years, $46.8 million): B Grade
    Titans sign TE Delanie Walker (4 years, $17.5M; $8.6M guaranteed): C Grade
    Titans sign RB Shonn Greene (3 years, $10M; $4.5M guaranteed): D Grade
    Titans sign DT Sammie Lee Hill (3 years, $11.4M; $4M guaranteed): C+ Grade
    Titans sign S Bernard Pollard (1 year, $2.5 million): A- Grade

Check the site if you want explanations of the grades:

And some others we may be interested in:
    Rams sign TE Jared Cook (5 years, $35.1M; $19M guaranteed): D Grade
    Dolphins sign WR Mike Wallace (5 years, $65M; $30M guaranteed): C- Grade
    Lions sign DT/DE Jason Jones (3 years, $9.5 million): B+ Grade
    Vikings re-sign WR Jerome Simpson (1 year, $2.1 million): MILLEN WHITE-SMOKED PAPAL KIELBASA Grade
    engals re-sign ILB Rey Maualuga (2 years, $6.5M; $2.5M guaranteed): MILLEN FILLS OUT HIS NCAA BRACKET BASED ON KIELBASA SIZE Grade
    Dolphins sign WR Brandon Gibson (3 years, $9.78 million): MILLEN JEALOUS OF LINDSEY VONN; KIELBASASA AT THE READY FOR TIGER Grade
    Colts sign QB Matt Hasselbeck (2 years, $8M; $5M guaranteed): B Grade

Check the site if you want explanations of the grades:

Incidentally. Under their "Winners/Losers" section the Titans are considered "Losers":

[​IMG] Tennessee Titans
    According to Tennessee's front office, the trio of Shonn Greene, Sammie Lee Hill and Delanie Walker are worth 10 years, $38.9 million. That's nearly $4 million per year for a backup running back, a third defensive tackle and a blocking tight end. Talk about spending frivolously.

We were however not high on the loser list.

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

That's definitely too much for Hill. Didn't know the terms of his contract. Everyone complains about the Greene signing, and I'm not sure why. He's a high-paid backup RB... oh well. There are a few other backup RBs who make more. He's exactly what we need. He was 11/11 on 3rd 3 or shorter last year. That's enough for me. What was CJ in those situations? 1/20?

Most of the people writing these articles don't know what they're talking about.

We are paying Craig Stevens basically just as much as Walker, btw. $4mil a year for Walker or $7mil a year for Cook? What do they want us to do?

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I think the over reacting to the Green signing is going to be a good thing. He is probably going to take away 50% of CJ's carries and that will force something to be done with CJ, on top of better production from the run game. This signing, was almost as good as the Levitre signing. I think the people critical of this signing, don't know how big of a part CJ played in his struggles last year, or thought we over paid. Which again, this signing is going to force us to deal with CJ and will free up money somewhere soon.

I thought Walker was a good signing. You can coach hands, and the fact that just about all the 49ers had issues with drops, makes me think this is more on them as a franchise than it is on Walker. Regardless, he is going to be just as good as Cook catching the ball and 4x better blocking.

I have heard nothing but great things about Hill, which really makes me feel good, but I am still not sure how to feel about this. We have alot of guys at DT capable of getting some snaps and I would have much rather spent this on Osi, Abe, or Freeney for a few years to push Morgan and Wimbley and have a solid rotation there. I thought our DT situation was decent and our DE position abysmal.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I posted in another thread somewhere that this was literally the first season Walker has ever had issues with drops. He had as many drops in 2012 as he had in his entire career before.

I feel like it was a fluke and he'll be a lot more focused as the #1 guy now.

Yep. Could've passed on Hill and signed Dumervil or Osi.

5. J Falk

J Falk Starter

I agree...I thought we made some great signings, but when I heard how much we paid Hill and Walker it kind of took me back a bit..either way, we needed them so they're not bad signings(just thought we could get them cheaper). I don't get why people hate on the Greene signing so much. Yeah, he's not the flashiest back in the world, but, like you said, he will be a great change of pace back for CJ, and I thought his deal was quite fair...His signing alone could truly help catipult this offense to something similar to what it once was.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

My friend is a hardcore SF fan, and he thinks we got a total steal in Walker.

He hates the Titans and would never give us any credit- so it says quite a lot. He claims SF never utilized him properly.... hopefully we do.

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I agree with the Walker comment.

But I really, really like the Hill signing. The guy was regulated to back-up b/c the Lions invested very heavily in DTs with two first picks and the dude never got his chance, and we didn't pay that much for him either. I also really like the different bodies they got on the line now. We truly needed a good big man in the middle (i.e. not a Sean Smith), and Sammie has the chance to be just that... I also think that Casey and Martin (who are both excellent IMO) will really excel beside a 'bigger' guy in the middle... Those three dudes can really grow together and I'm extremely excited...

I would actually have taken Sammie over Osi/Elvis, because we really needed a bigger presence to give Gregg/Gray the freedom to do what they want. Essentially, Osi/Elvis are very much the same as Wimbley/Ayers.

Casey/Morgan/Mike/KW/Pitoitua/Klug/Ayers/Brown/C-Mac - those players bring to the table very different skills to go along with their different sizes... Gregg/Gray should be doing some real creative things next year...

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I think the idea is that we focus on interior push and run blocking. The pass rush is going to come from Brown/Ayers/Wimbley/ +/- Morgan. We are free to go DE/CB/?OG with #10 pick, or trade back if possible to achieve same.

I know we spent a lot, but this is the first off-season in quite a while that I feel we have positioned ourselves well to score big in the draft. I've been really impressed with Webster and I'm eager to see how these apparent good moves work out.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I think Greene gets a lot of negative pub because he played for the Jets/Rex Ryan. I'm confident he will do well for us, especially with a re-vamped line.

The critics have assessed his contract value based on his performance with the Jets, not how his skill set will compliment what we have here or how we intend to use him. I believe Greene will really surprise people when he is here.

Just read a surprisingly good article from PK. I think it outlines where we are really well.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/48702/reassessing-the-titans-needs

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I just don't get why people focus more on how much we paid to get these guys than how good/bad they are or how they'll impact our team. If the player produces, the money you paid him is pretty irrelevant because it's worth it. Bloated contracts usually only come into play when the guy getting paid is not producing. If we go 11-5 or 12-4 this season will anyone really be thinking about how much we spent in FA? I can't wait for the season to start. These talking heads will be shocked to see what we already know is going to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar