Free Agency 2017

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big Time Titan, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 615nick

615nick Starter

Could we sign him to a veteran minimum contract, let the jets pay the balance and then give him a 2m bonus?

2. piepsilon

piepsilon Starter

Or could we talk w the Jets and Revis about tweaking the deal. For example, come to an agreement where Revis gets $8 million for a 1 year deal with us. Jets pay $4 mil and we pay $4 mil. If Revis doesn't sign w anyone and sits, Jets are on the hook for $6 mil anyway. With this new proposed deal, we could all win. Just a thought. We know it wouldn't happen.

3. nytitaner

nytitaner Starter

cmon, we've got cap space can't we overpay one player? talk about tight , dam o yeah besides Cyprien lol.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

No, there's absolutely no point for him to do that. He's making $6M regardless, unless someone pays him over $6M.

Let's say we sign him to a vet min contract for $2M, then the Jets would pay the other $4M of his guaranteed money. So all that's happening is the Jets are not having to pay him as much. From his perspective he makes $0.00 more than he would have if he'd sat on the couch.

He'd be better off saving the wear and tear on his body than playing for free.

5. lilkhmerkid4u

lilkhmerkid4u Somebody Saveeeeeee Meee!

We're waiting for a Groupon deal.

• LOL LOL x 3
  6. 615nick

615nick Starter

I get that. That's why i included a 2m bonus, so he'd actually be getting 8m.

7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I don't know what you're saying... we'd have to pay him $8M total for him to even consider it. And I don't' think he's worth that after the garbage he put on the field last year.

You can't just pay a vet minimum and throw a bonus on top of it. It doesn't work like that. The bonus would be part of the total. What you suggested would be just paying him $2M salary, $2M bonus. That's only $4M. Jets would still owe him $2M so he'd only get $6M still.

8. 615nick

615nick Starter

Ok, that's what i was getting at. Question answered, lol. I didn't know exactly how the offset language worked.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Yeah, it's a difficult concept to get your head around and I probably did a terrible job explaining. I'm better at getting concepts than teaching them haha.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar