forget about drafting a QB Floyd

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tonye209, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bullcrap jeff...

First of all the comparison i made was mcnair in 2002 not 2003. 2003 was an atypical year for him. The stats point out an obvious fact that mcnair's play was relatively typical compared to what he has done most of his career and i would rather look at the numbers than rely on some lame observations.:))

Just because i blew up a couple of times when he made a mistake doesn't mean anything. He fumbled the ball in the end zone and gave the raiders a free TD. So? Most of last year i defended him.

Mcnair's passing rating in 2005 was better than it was in 97, 98, 99, similar to what it was in 2000 and 2002. Considering the support he had why would i consider him done?
    I own a tape of the music city miracle game when mcnair circa jan 2000 at age 26 and 11 months looked weak and ineffective throwing the ball. Was that because of age?

Give me a letter grade for the following areas of this team in 2005.
    RBs
    O-line
    WR

D+ across the board or worse? Yet steve had what is historically a typical year for him passing the football.

Swap mcnair for many quality QBs and he puts up similar stats on those other teams. It's not a stretch at all to think that mcnair could have put up the 87 passing rating throwing to steve smith that delomme put up at carolina. Mcnair couldn't be effective in that denver offense? How about the seahawks? The colts? The bengals? I'm not saying he is top shelf any longer but he still is pretty good.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I believe that pretty much is stating the obvious and kills any reason to continue discussing the subject with you.

3. Banger21

Banger21 Camp Fodder

As long as McNair has a supporting cast, he can get the job done. The past 2 or 3 years he has not had anyone around him. With the moves they've made so far, they have put themselves in shape to contend. Now why would you draft a QB and throw a Rookie out there now? Draft the Brick, the biggest hole on the team (MLB close 2nd). Draft a MLB in the second and boom, you have a team that can make a run at the playoffs and beyond IMO. McNair sounds motivated to regain his form, he is not over the hill yet, Titans can't give up on him yet. He deserves at least one more year to prove hes still got it with help around him.

4. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

If Steve didn't want to retire he should have never mentioned it. Once he did he became unreliable. They have to draft a QB for a couple reasons; first, Bud says so, secondly, they've got to look to the future and that goes beyond two years which is what they would expect Mac9 to play for. They probably won't have a pick this high for a long time so they need to get their guy now.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

rcarie...

That is nonsense. His retirement talk was the result of pain and frustration over an injury. An injury that has been surgically repaired and healed.

Not once during the 2005 season has he talked of retirement.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Steve in 99 and 2000...too old?

In 99 and 2000 steve mcnair had passing ratings of 79 and 83 respectively. I'm rounding off. That's an average less than his 2005 number. Remembering those years i recall quite a bit of frustration over steve and our passing game. Steve wasn't a kid any longer and many people myself included expected him to be a more dominant passer. Still he was a top 10 QB but our passing game was not outstanding.

Remember in 2000 when we lost that opening game at buffalo and steve didn't play well? And then he was not very effective at all against the chiefs and left the game with the sternum injury. Neil had to come in and lead us to a TD drive that kept us from starting the year 0-2.

Later that year i attended a game against the raiders on a sunday night. Steve was not sharp at all and there were collective moans through thre crowd in frustration. This is the 27 year old version of mcnair. We won the game because eddie ran for almost 200 yards and the defense stopped rich gannon.

The point here is a simple one. Steve mcnair at 27, even with eddie in his prime and a great defense struggled in some of the same ways as this year.

An interesting stat comparison.

Steve ages 26 and 27 in 99 and 2000
    27 TDs-21 ints a ratio of 1.285

Steve age 32, 2005..supposedly old, feeble and past his prime.
    16 tds-11 ints a ratio of 1.454

How could that be? Without eddie? Without mason?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar