forget about drafting a QB Floyd

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tonye209, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

Man it is great to hear someone who still supports Mcnair...He's our warrior....Remember the days when we had a terror defense to put us in positions to win games? 2006 season MVP - Steve Mcnair....Offensive Rookie of the Year - Brick Ferguson....YEAH BABY! :brow:

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How many of you guys are married?

Imagine this scenario. A 40 year old man approaches his 39 year old wife and says honey, i have a younger replacement for you. She's a hot looking 22 year old babe but because she is inexperienced i would like you to mentor her for a year before you hit the road. What would she say? The same thing mcnair is saying now because that is exactly what we are doing with him. It's bullcrap!

How much you want to bet that d'mase is burring up the phone lines to billick and newsome telling them to get that guy! I guarentee you drew bennett thinks the exact same way about keeping him. You don't take a player of this quality and throw him away like trash. Mcnair did fine last year with what he had to work with. His passing rating last year was barely different than what it was in 2002 when many of you thought he was the MVP. That year he had mason-mccareins-bennett-dyson. This year his passing rating was just 1.6 points lower with less to work with. What is the difference?

Put mcnair on the cowboys, fags or panthers and tell me he couldn't have had similar numbers that bledsoe, delomme or leftwich had. You say he doesn't run that much any more? Well those guys never ran much. You think mcnair's passing rating could have been 7-8 points better with denver and that offensive line, rod smith and the running game? The broncos had two RBs who combined for almost 2000 yards and a 4.6 average. Mcnair has never operated in that kind of luxury even when eddie was here. The guy is still a good player and he never had that deer in the headlights look.

If steve goes whatever team he is on will be my second favorite team; even the ravens! If #9 is on the ravens i'll be a puke purple cheering mother and they could be a contender with #9!

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see Mac going anywhere in '06 even if the Titans have to carry the full $23 mil cap number. He is the only hope the Titans have to challenge this season.

But McNair and Cook both know the odds for Steve to be as healthy at the end of this season (with possibly a second-year LT and RT protecting him all year) are slim. And they likely realize no one is going to give a three-year deal and a big bonus to a 34-year old, injury-prone QB who doesn't know the offense next March.

Maybe McNair goes out this season and looks like '03 and creates a demand. But nothing I've seen the last two seasons indicate that he is worth investing in long-term now.

That doesn't mean the team is throwing him to the wolves. They are paying the man $10 million to find a way to deal with the issue.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'm over quoteing on purpose... Tide, I can't even read your post because the hook is such horse hockey...

In McNairs contract it clearly states...

to have and to hold from this day forward until death do us part...
    C'mon Mr. Analyst... I thought my reasoning is nutty...

You are supposed to be a voice of reason on this board...

I expect more from you than that... You sound just as emotionally overblown as I do on any given day.

Yes, I'm married. The Titans are not married to McNair...

I'm subject to lose my job if my management is not happy.
    That is what this is really about.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff....sec...

Both your posts suggest that mcnair is not a good player. Management is not happy, nothing you have seen indicates blah blah blah. The guy had a bad year in 2004 because of the chest injury. Tell me what was wrong with him in 2005? Put jake plummer or drew bledsoe on that lame offense with no running game or wide receivers and see how they would do. Mcnair's supposedly bad play produced a passing rating 5 points higher than stud bledsoe has for his career and 8 points higher than hippie boy plummer. What i'm saying in a mild mannered way is that those who think mcnair wasn't any good in 2005 are clueless morons! If mcnair was mvp caliber in 2002 how could he suck in 2005 when his passing rating and TD-int ratio were almost the same playing with less talent?

If mcnair is over the hill aaron brooks must be ready for a nursing home because he couldn't carry steve's jock.

As far as long term i'm not talking about 5 years i'm talking about 2.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Getting lazy?

If you are as good at your job as mcnair is at his there would be no reason for management to be unhappy. That's the point.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The issue is that Mac wants to be paid like a top QB still while his production does not warrent it. Yes he had a good yr, but that still had him ranked 17th in terms of QB rating. I think that Mac is our best bet for getting to the playoffs in the next 3 yrs and hope that they can come up with a contract that doesn't overpay Mac and also protects the Titans. Why give him a contract that guarantees him 18mil over the next couple yrs when we could just franchise him for the next 2 yrs if we need to. The cost wouldn't be that much different and if he got hurt or retired we wouldn't be stuck taking a cap hit.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Good points RollTide... Since long term is 2 years we should draft DE Mario what's his name... I don't get agents... Do they represent actual thoughts or do they just BS through the media? Yesterday Bus related to all of us as if McNair felt that drafting... just forget it. The past two seasons I've been looking for something... Don't catagorize me like I'm really out for blood... I'm just trying to look at the situation for real... I maintain that I do not want McNair to go... I'm really with the fitantitans mentality on this. I want McNair to be the boat load of gold you are selling him as just as much as everyone... but there comes a time when the realization is made that it is in everyones best interests that the transition begins. If McNair contractual demands are too great then the hand of the FO is forced. That is not what I want. Tennessee really needs McNair IMO, but there are 52 other guys that have got to make this thing work. If we were a 9-7 team last year I'd agree 100%... I'm looking to the future... Our best shot at winning anything at all is with McNair... Sure, I'd like to think that VY can go out and win 12 games as a rookie... but that is just the polar opposite of your disposition. I think we should have them both even if we have more money at qb than anyone else in the league.

Last year you predicted that McNair was going to storm into the playoffs...
    get real Mr. Analyst... he did look like a lost deer in the headlights at times and I'm sure there are many that may take exception to being dismissed as clueless morons. I'm not saying that he was never good at all during the season. In fact it was Gunny and me that were smack returning Mr. E the hell out of here while all you did was ***** and moan... It's all good... but we weren't even a spoiler last year... CONTENDER!!! whatever... we couldn't spoil fresh chicken in the noon day sun last season.

do like the Jagcat nickname though... that's funny...

9. TitanJeff

You have to assume a lot to think I don't feel Mac is a good player. I don't feel that way at all. Is he what he once was? Nope. But I'm not going to kid myself in thinking with his injury history he can be counted on to lead this team beyond '07.

And not to sound like a broken record, do you want to toss a rookie into the mix in '08 when the rest of the team is ready to make some serious noise towards the Super Bowl? If want McNair your starter in '07, that's what you are asking for.

It's the same reason you don't bring back Hopkins even if you think he'd do a little better than Roos. It's the same reason Pacman started ahead of Beckham. This team needs experience at key positions.

10. TitanJeff

Do I need to post again your comments from last year when you told us all McNair was done? ;)

Don't let the numbers get into the way of what you saw last year. McNair isn't the same QB he was in '03 (even if he had the weapons) and should not be part of any plans the Titans have beyond '07. Though he's the best chance the Titans have of playing winning football the next two seasons, things have to be kept in perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar