For MasterCard, Manning agrees to take a hike

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky Colts fans may not be smiling much these days and I know Peyton Manning has worn himself thin as a pitchman.

Even so, you've got to give the guy props. Here's what, his 50th TV commercial? And once again he's the beneficiary of clever writing. That and his good delivery helps make him look smart and self-effacing and suggests he's always got things in perspective.

Will it make people grab the phone to sign up for a new MasterCard? I doubt it, but I don't claim to understand advertising. I do understand that, even if you are tired of him, this qualifies as funny.

You;l lstart seeing it on TV Sunday, when you can also head to this site to set up a personalized video from Manning to one of your friends.

If you're a full-blown Manning fanatic, I know you might even devote 90 seconds to this behind the scenes video.

More...

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It amazes me how they can take a guy with no personality whatsoever, or no acting talent, and flip it to where it comes off as humorous.

3. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I personally love his commercials...his timing and delivery are very good and cracks me up.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It's not really his timing. He's just a slow talking dunce type. So anything he says is funny because it sort of mocks himself. I'm sure off script he's about as funny as Carlos Mencia on his death bed.

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Makes me want to use cash...

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Do you honestly not see that it's not all the writing? I mean, I can't stand the guy, but he's good in the commercials, and was way above average for an athlete on SNL. He's effectively able to mock his own personality. If you think that's the way he actually is, you're blind.

It's a struggle for me to deal with hating him and liking his commercials.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Agreed. The guy is simply a good actor. Way better than almost all other athletes.

He gets good writing, but it takes some talent to be funny. I hate him as a QB but I get a laugh out of most of his commercials.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

The marketing departments of the world are really disappointed in the lack of personality exhibited by that guy who won all those gold medals in swimming last summer.

Who was that?... Phelps or something?.... he'll become a forgotten footnote in 3... 2... 1...

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm Bill Curtis... and I'm faster than Michael Phelps

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar