For everyone who thinks we "reached" to get Chris Johnson in the 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

agree exactly

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut's idea of trading down 15-20 spots and still getting good picks and extra picks sounds great but it is hard to do and still get fair value unless someone comes to us seeking a trade up. Even then it can back fire of the players you expect to still be there are not.

In any event there was good value at just about every pick we had. At 24 we had a lot of options and positions. At 54 also. If we stood pat we could have had keenan burton along with hawkins if we wanted.

My opinion is well known but even had we reached for one of the top TEs at 24 a davis for example i would be less upset. That still left plenty of value at RB if we felt we had to go there in rds 2 and 3 at RB. Rice, smith and charles in rd 2, slaton and choice in rd 3 or choice still once we moved up in rd 4.

I hope we didn't use the 24th pick for kevin faulk.

3. The Playmaker

Instead of Faulk were getting Brian Westbrook.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Many, many trades happened all over the place so it's hard to claim it'd be hard to make a trade. Yes, any particular spot could be hard to move since you're dealing with a specific team, but to land in a general spot (say within 5-6 spots) shouldn't be too hard. As we saw, many teams moved around...both up and down and got good value. And frankly, the value I got for my 'trades' was on the conservative side...so we could very well have gotten more. And the point of trading into a specific spot or area is to get good value and watch the board. If you have 8 guys u like, you can probably drop at least 10 spots (considering there may be 15 guys of value but some positions you don't need) and still get someone you like. However, if 6 of them go quickly, you can probably trade up to grab the 7th or 8th guy and still have gotten much more value in the end (extra picks from trading down - picks given up to move back up a few spots...also benefits from paying the draft pick less money). And even if you miss out on the specific players you want, you've already added extra value (meaning you'llk have more mid rndrs) and can take a shot at a guy you've rated at that spot...perhaps a 'gamble on greatness' pick.

Why would we draft another TE in rnd 1 when we just signed Crumpler and we just let go the last highly drafted TE? None of these guys are superstar TE's like an Antonio Gates.

Agreed, but if it's Kevin Faulk with 4.2 speed and he wreaks havoc at RB/WR/KR/PR...I'll be happy. If he's JUST a change of pace back, we'll be in trouble.

Gut

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Faulk was a very integrated part of the Pats offense and if CJ can do those kind of things along with his 4.24 speed I'd be very happy. The differnce is Faulk is a guy who really helps move the chains but if Johnson can do that while occasionally busting a long run or pass play with his speed he will be very valuable. The difference between a team scoring an additional 10 points a game can be simply the difference between making a few more first downs and scoring TDs in the red zone as opposed to kicking FGs.

6. The Playmaker

I like your point but I'm mad Mendenhall was 1 pick short and in the 2nd round Groves and Sweed were within 2 picks. A Mendenhall/Groves draft would be fine with me.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I actually don't think the Titans would have taken Mendenhall over CJ. I'm disappointed that a team who's success was built on the D last year (which was built on our pass rush), we didn't get one of the top (established) DE's like Groves. Gholston was too far to move up for and the Jags were crazy to trade so far up for Harvey, but Groves was well within our reach (as was DeSean Jackson).

Gut

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut please you used your 20/20 hindsight to later say we should have traded back to get this guy or that guy. These trades are made on the fly during the draft when a guy drops further than you thought so you jump into a spot to guarantee you would get that player. How many trades like that were made in the 1st or 2nd rd?

What makes you think groves is a "top DE" when 6 other
    Des were taken ahead of him? There were 7 or more "top" DEs?

9. The Playmaker

That just depends on whose board you look at. Some have Groves in top 3 some have him strictly as an OLB. Their were 2 main possiblities for the 1st 2 rounds.

1) CJ in the 1st and Jason Jones in the 2nd.
    2) Mendenhall in the 1st and Groves in the 2nd.

Now I know #2 wasn't possible because they were drafted 1-2 spots ahead but I ask which draft would you want? We can always play the what if game. What if the Titans traded up a 1 or 2 spots to get Mendenhall or Felix Jones and same in the 2nd why not trade up for Groves or Sweed.

That's the reason I originally didn't like our draft. I felt that they weren't aggressive in the players the Front Office wanted. Felix and Mendenhall went in the 2 picks before us and in the 2nd round 2 players I was really high on(Sweed and Groves) were drafted.

Trading some 4th round picks and a 6th to get the 1st round and 2nd round player they 100% wanted makes ideal sense to me.

The draft is over though. I'm happy with CJ and happy with Jason Jones because I've always thought he was underrated.

10. The Playmaker

As for CJ being a "reach". The Titans might have somewhat panicked that alot of RB's(was it 5 in the 1st?) were drafted in the 1st round. I think CJ is potentially a great player but the Titans might have been able to trade down a couple picks for him. Even though I still would've hoped for trading up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar