For everyone who thinks we "reached" to get Chris Johnson in the 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TM

TM Starter

Many of the websites and commentators who are giving the Titans a low grade on their draft are the same people who had us taking Sweed in the 1st @#24. He was clearly a reach at that point and goes to show you how much those people know.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Has anyone said that they're a draft expert? The reason alot of people thought Johnson was a reach(including me) is because it's less the player and more the position. I would've been a lot happier with Sweed in the 1st and someone like Slaton in the 3rd. I'm sure Johnson will do well and can be a great player but 3 RB's drafted in the 1st or 2nd round the past 3 years is pathetic. The offensive strategy might be to run the ball but eventually VY will have to pass the ball.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I was angry with our first pick on draft day for ONE reason, and ONE reason only...Chris Henry. So our organization is already going to admit failure a year after it drafts a similar style running back? That's what upset me the most. Also, I think that we didn't need a RB that early because of our obvious need at WR. We had the board wide open to choose from, and we picked Johnson. I think Johnson is going to do GREAT things in Tennessee, but I was a little dissapointed. I wasn't dissapointed because he wasn't a good player, I was frustrated that we picked a RB first...

4. TM

TM Starter

The biggest problem with the Titans offense last year wasn't the WRs who play on the outside. Look at how our WRs ranked according to this website:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

Gage ranked 23rd and R. Williams ranked 42nd. But both had an above average DVOA. B. Jones was very slightly below average. In additon, Chris Davis didn't have enough stats to be ranked but it was clear he was largely ineffective.

Bo Scaife on the other hand ranked 39th and was 21% below average. Both Troupe and Hartsock are gone. It should be no surprise that we added 3 TEs to the roster this off season.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te.php

Now look at L. White's receiving ranking:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php

White ranked 44th and was 19% below average.

The Titans had problems all over the offense in 2007. More than can be addressed in one off season. But its clear that the biggest problems were the TEs, the receiving from the RBs and the slot receiver. Those just also happened to be the positions the team management chose to address. That should come as little surprise, especially in a draft where every single NFL GM chose to pass on a WR in the first round.

Add in the fact that Heimerdinger has a reputation for developing WRs, then its not hard to understand why the Titans set their priorities as they did. The Titans aren't going to come out and explain all this to the fans because to do so would require them to bash Scaife, Davis and White.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

our BEST wide receiver was 27th in the league......how is that not bad?

6. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

How about instead of looking at stats you watch some games from last year. If you watched titans games last year there was a problem with our wide receivers.

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If it wasn't for Gage having a career year then the Titans would NOT have made the playoffs. I'd be very surprised if Gage has the same production.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sk...

It sounds like you're saying you don't know anything more than what the draft sites tell you so neither can anyone else. I appreciate your honesty in giving your scope of knowledge, but others may have vastly more knowledge than you do about players. It is insulting for you to claim otherwise...especially if you don't know what knowledge some of these people have. Also, draft sites are all over the map so I'd be curious as to which ones you listen to and which ones you don't.

So its' not possible for a fan on this board to know more than YOU think they do? Is it not possible for a fan on this board to know exactly what they think they know?

Some people on this board have played and/or coached football. I also happen to know that in the past at least one family member of a Titans starter read this board. You think he might have a little more insight into the Titans than the 'avg' fan?

And frankly, it's a game. Sometimes it's not that hard to know when a player was out of position...repeatedly. Sometime's it's not that hard for a fan to see Lamont Thompson getting burned over and over again. Is the fan wrong in suggesting this guy is getting roasted like a chestnut around Christmas time? Considering we changed out that part (and others) and vastly improved our defense...it appears the lowly fan who you claim doesn't know better....KNEW BETTER! So yes, fans CAN know better than professionals at times. It certainly doesn't mean all the time or even half the time. But those things CAN and DO happen as pointed out in this paragraph.

I don't think anyone on this board has claimed they could do a perfect job at being a head coach or gm or whatever, but when we see things that are wrong and should be fixed (or at least attempted to be fixed since what they're doing is NOT working), that is perfectly viable discussion. Suggesting otherwise is to suggest we don't have a forum to discuss anything since we wouldn't know what we're talking about.

And when you suggest people don't know what to think about a player because no one told them what to think...is not a favorable thing to say. Saying the truth hurts...is not an improvement. And calling everyone stupid is not nice or considerate...even if you include yourself. It's still an insult.

I don't know if there has been a change to board rules about insulting people...but I would prefer to not be called stupid...thank you.

Gut

9. :rolleyes:

Rather than me respond to your post, I'd just tell you to read the posts I already made above. I don't intend to waste my time in retyping it all.

And when you can find someone who spent time before the draft watching game film of William Hayes and had their own opinion of the guy, let me know. Otherwise, I completely stand by my comment about people not being told what to think and thus knowing nothing...

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sk...

Obviously I read your posts above...cause that was what I was responding to...

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar