For everyone who thinks we "reached" to get Chris Johnson in the 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Who here does not think that Sweed was our target at #54?

Look- it's the draft. Sometimes you don't get your first choice with each pick. You adjust.

The big question mark in my mind remains, however, that we didn't skillfully adjust with our trades. We were still when we should have moved and we moved when we didn't need to. That is strategy and that is skill.

I like who we did pick. I just believe that had we been more skilled, we would have wound up with a few better (less risky) picks. IMO- our ineptness at adjusting required us to use the picks on a few more fliers.

2. HornedToad10

HornedToad10 Camp Fodder

Yeah, that's not insulting at all...

Someone pointed it out earlier but I'll say it again. You seem to be saying everyone else is stupid and only get their information from draft experts and have to be told what to think while you have inside knowledge into the draft and all of your opinions are actually fact...

Especially after Alex basically admitted it was an open question and just said that it is his opinion with this statement:

3. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Opinions are fine and dandy, but ignoring the only facts about the subject when forming the opinion is illogical.

4. The truth hurts sometimes. And it wasn't said to be an insult, it was said to be direct and specific.

No, I basically said we're ALL stupid. :))

OK, I didn't say stupid, I actually said uninformed. But I still included myself in that group. I specifically said I don't know any more that other people. I'm just willing to admit it while some others are not...

If Alex wants to say that he doesn't believe that Hayes is worth the 4th round pick, I have no problem with that. But that isn't all he's saying. He's saying that clearly no other team had him ranked that high despite the fact that all available evidence says otherwise (not my opinion, simply a fact), both from the Titans and from other sources outside of BSP.

Hayes wasn't a reach, end of story. That's not to say he'll be good or bad in the NFL, but he clearly was drafted where multiple other teams were thinking as well.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

We DEFINATELY would have taken Sweed, had he been there. Pittsburgh just picked him to piss us off. They don't need a WR, imo. The Titans thought he was going to fall into their laps and then they panicked and picked some random DE....

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I know. We all spout off like we're Vince Lombardi and we're more like my cousin Vinny.

I pretty much agree. Immediately after the draft I was generally happy with the talent, and the more I read up on them I can see how some of the moves may have been much better than I initially thought.

My favorite thing about MRs draft philosophy is that he listens to his coaches. Heimerdinger had a lot to do with taking Chris Johnson, Washburn had a lot to do with Hayes, and Sherman Smith influenced the Chris Henry pick last year. Maybe it opens him up to criticism for surprising picks, but in the end I think it will pay off with good value players who fit our scheme well.

7. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

What do you think they did? See Sweed's name pop up on the screen at pick 53 and start throwing papers around screaming "What do we do now!?!"

I promise you they had already sit down and said, "Ok, who do we want if Sweed comes off the board before pick 54?" And the answer was Jason Jones.

Jason Jones will make the Pro Bowl this year. Book it. He was pick #54. My lucky number. :))

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

onetontitan might be so far in left field it isn't funny. We actually...believe it or not...hold on to something incase you fall over...might have had NO intention of taking Sweed even if he was there at 54.

That is what is so asinine about some of these comments. As Star said there is nothing wrong with wanting us to take Sweed even if we had to trade up to get him but it is pure speculation that the FO was even targeting him. I don't remember the Titans ever specifically saying "we love Limas Sweed". Even if they did have Sweed high on their board doesn't mean they panicked at all when he was taken.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

You're serious, which is what makes this post so ridiculous.

10. I think there's a good chance we would have taken Sweed had he dropped another pick. It's who I was saying right before the Steelers made their pick.

But "DEFINITELY" is just not the case. Not unless you saw the Titans' draft board on Saturday...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar