For everyone who thinks we "reached" to get Chris Johnson in the 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm guessing we'll see some of the teams begin to talk about where they had certain players ranked. For example, the Titans said they had Hawkins a third-rounder. I'm guess others had him much later because he didn't go until much later.

Buy players are valued differently based on need and if they fit into a certain scheme. It's a matter of opinion even among teams.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I love how it's ok that your opinion is a fact.

Do you have some problem acknowleding that fans also might have some knowledge based on games they've watched and college teams they follow?

I'm taking that I'm included as one of the people directed in this statement.

Funny thing is, I barely even gave an opinion as to what player I thought was the best before the draft. I gave more of an opinion on what position's we really needed to improve the Titans football team. I base that on watching every game last season. And since they became Titans with the exception of a rare few.

The fact about Haynes is, I believe he was a reach. I don't buy that just because teams say they were looking at him in that round, that he would've been drafted in that round. You seem to believe it as total fact.

The great thing is: Neither of us know. He could've been a huge reach and available rounds later. He could've been selected the very next pick after the Titans selected him. We'll never know because that's not what happened.

3. Alex1939

:ha:

4. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

You believe he was a reach, yet you have never seen him play. The FACT about Hayes is there is probably less than 2% of Titans fans that have EVER seen him play. So, all we, as fans, have to go by is what the NFL teams themselves say about the kid. A number of teams say he was a fast rising prospect and he wouldn't have lasted long into the 4th round. Now, if you have some sort of paranoia about believing what teams have to say when that's the only thing you have to go by then that's fine.

5. It's not simply my opinion. It's based entirely on public comments from people inside the draft process that show he wasn't a reach.

Absolutely not. Lots of fans watch college games and have their own opinions of players. Again, I have no problem with simple opinion.

But how is it that you and all other fans have such strong opinions about so many players you have never seen play? Are you going to deny relying on "draft experts"?

Yet you seem so certain on what player is or isn't a reach after the fact...

First of all, we didn't draft anyone named Haynes, just so you know...

Secondly, I could just as easily use that argument to suggest that if we hadn't drafted Chris Johnson in the 1st round then he wouldn't have been drafted at all. Hey, no one else took him right?

I'm basing my argument on what the insiders have said, both before and after the draft. You are just basing it on a lack of knowing anything about him because NO ONE TOLD YOU WHAT TO THINK ABOUT HIM.

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

No - I don't put any faith in whether any fan knows anything. It sounds like talent-wise he may be very good... the reason the Titans went after him is because Washburn was high on him. Wash isn't a hack - he knows what he's talking about. But it is true that few people on the inside even knew who he was, and those who did weren't really expecting that he'd be drafted at all. The fact that we traded up to get him in the 4th is just odd.

Hey, I'd grade this draft around a B. I think they made several good decisions that weren't popular but will improve the team. Hayes is the 1 choice I'm still having a hard time justifying. Even leaving out the question of when COULD we have gotten him... Was it so likely that another team ahead of us was going to take him, and is he that much better than all the other players available (not just DEs) that it was worth giving up a 5th rd pick to move to the top of the 4th to get him? Doesn't mean Washburn wasn't right, and he may be a reach that we'll be glad we took a chance on.

Anyway, I love the Johnson pick for us. I think Stevens will become a central part of our run game - we absolutely need a good blocking TE and he was the best in the draft. From what I've read of Jones I think the Titans DE factory will turn him into a stud. I've been crying for a possession receiver, and so I love Hawkins... screw a 70 yard TD highlight reel once a year - I prefer 1st down on 3rd and 6 several times a game. Given that I see this as a nice draft class. Hayes is the only one I'm still trying to make sense out of.

7. Alex1939

Common sense says Chris Johnson would've been drafted.

It's cool though..

HAYES clearly was a value pick. It is without a doubt 100% fact that he would've been drafted next had we not traded up to get him. We know this because other teams said so, and there is 0% chance that is untrue.

I am wrong. I will from now on believe every story an NFL representative tells me as fact. From Goodell, to Bill Polian, to Bill Belicheck, I will not question any statements made. I have never seen Jeff Fisher lie, or spin a story. And as only a fan, I have no basis to question the decisions of professionals based on any knowledge I acquire from my own eyes, perceptions, sources, opinions, or thoughts.

The Titans will be fine at WR and CB, for Jeff Fisher tells me so.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Whether it is a fan, a draft commentator or an NFL scout, coach or GM, it's an opinion. The difference is the amount of information available, knowing the needs of the team, understanding the scheme, etc.

Just taking a glance back a previous drafts will tell how much the draft is a guessing game even to those with the most training and information to evaluate a player.

9. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

And I think that the so-called experts such as Mel Kiper, give out post-draft grades based on their opinion on who we picked. For example, we didn't take a WR in the first, so the organization must suck.

I'm curious, where would Johnson have landed if we hadn't picked him? This, of course, is a question meant to entice more opinions.

10. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I would bet San Diego would have taken him at 27. But who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar