For everyone who thinks we "reached" to get Chris Johnson in the 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I have seen numerous people maintain that Johnson would have been there in the 2nd round and we should have taken a WR in the 1st.

What would your reaction have been if we had taken Donnie Avery, Jordy Nelso, Eddie Royal or Jerome Simpson with our 1st round pick?

These were amonst the 1st receivers taken (all before DeSean Jackson , Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed) and were off the board well before our 2nd round pick.

If you were adamant on us getting receiver help, and it is obvious now that these guys weren't going to be there when we were on the clock in the 2nd round, then I presume you would have been fine with taking any one of these guys with our 1st round pick.

The point:

Anyone who thinks they now the true value of players and where they will and won't be available is kidding themselves.

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Well, I agree with you. Chris Johnson was definately the best RB available. I have a feeling that we were definately set on going RB in the first. Smart move because we did get the best one available (and the fastest one). As for the other picks though...like getting Stevens in the 3rd....that was a reach. Trading to get that dude from Winston-Salem, that was dumb.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Hayes was the reach... most mocks had Johnson going anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd - I saw at least 2 people that felt like we may go for Johnson at #24. Stevens in the 3rd was actually a pretty good value, though...

I agree Carpy - Chris Johnson at 24 was a much better value for us than any of the WRs on the board. Almost all the top WRs had some questions that you just can't ignore in the 1st round. There was a run on RBs and CJ would have been gone way before we had another shot at him.

And Fisher essentially said they went in the draft hoping to land any one of 4 RBs they had pegged in the 1st round, and were looking at WRs next. If a RB they wanted wasn't on the board at 24 they were going to trade out of the 1st round. Then in the 2nd they were hoping to land a WR, but weren't willing to give up too much to trade up for one. I totally agree with that - in this draft the WR pool was too deep, and they believed the talent at WR that would be still available on the 2nd day was too good to trade up in the 2nd. I think landing Hawkins in the 4th shows they were pretty much right.

The funny thing is I think a lot of people would have been happy if we had gone Chris Johnson in the 1st and then Hawkins in the 2nd. They would have thought maybe Hawk went a little early, but he was projected around the 3rd anyway so a late 2nd to a team in need of a WR would have been ok.

4. Based on what, the fact that no fans knew who the hell he was regardless of his ability? That makes zero sense. Most fans don't know squat about most draftees other than what "draft experts" tell them.

The teams knew who he was and the fact that other teams liked him in that range prove he wasn't a reach.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Starkiller, you can really come across like you know everything and everyone else knows nothing.

Most fans of the NFL are fans of college football. So they at least form opinions from what they watch during the college season and anything they read about involving NCAA football.

To say fans only believe what "draft experts" tell them is insulting, but I'm starting to figure you think you are smarter than everyone so hey.

How do you KNOW that??? It absoluted doesn't prove it. The only two teams listed that Haynes himself said were interested, besides the Titans, were the Jags and Colts. Neither team picked between the spot we drafted Haynes at and our next fourth round pick.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Here is my problem:

MR has said his personnel policy is to build through the draft. He didn't spend on needs during off-season touting this mantra. Last year- we all scratched our heads at the apparent "reach" for Chris Henry. We heard "sleeper", "value", "combine-wonder", "we'll have to see how he plays"...etc. Guess what? We pick RB AGAIN with an early pick. We WAY REACH on Hayes in the 4th.

What are we supposed to think about our GM's abilities to staff our team when it appears he effectively implement his staffing philosophy? I could take it if he wouldn't whitewash stuff.

7. You mean because I spent all my time this offseason talking about how I know exactly who we should draft? Oh wait... I didn't do that.

I fully admit I don't know any more than the next fan. The difference is that I realize how little that is.

The truth hurts sometimes...

People here, just like on other fan boards, always think they know more then they really do. We know who should get drafted where. We know who should get hired and fired. We all know better than the professionals, and when they don't do everything just right we like to pat ourselves on the back and say we would have done it just right. Well that's a load of crap and the only people who don't seem to know it are the fans themselves...

Hayes only said what teams he talked to, not the teams that were interested in him. He didn't know who was interested in him (unless you think he somehow has access to every team's draft board). We already know that he was getting a lot of attention from the teams around the end of the scouting process based not only on what the Titans said other teams told them, but also from comments made non-Titans insiders.

8. TM

TM Starter

Do fans and posters who call a player a "reach" at a certain spot have a crystal ball that tells them where the player is going to be picked if the team passes on him?

When someone says we could have traded back and still gotten this player, that's merely speculation. No one knows where the player is going to be picked.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Very good point.

The bottom line is fans who browse a few draft sites and read through a few mock drafts actually think they know something. It is laughable. Even the Kipers of the draft world who make a living of studying this stuff don't get it right much of the time.

10. Let me add that I have no problem with fans having an opinion. It's when fans think that their opinion is a FACT that they can look stupid. Especially when the draft is involved...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar