Football Outsiders on VY's play Sunday

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I frequent this site often but didn't catch this article until today. At the risk of yet another thread on this subject, I felt this article hit the nail on the head.

http://footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2010/walkthrough-benched

EVERY part of the Titans offense gets slammed. Young makes some terrible reads/throws. Collins does the same. Dinger/Fisher lack imagination and don't adjust. And the receivers also share in the blame (though I have no idea how the writer could see separation beyond 10-15 yards.)

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Yeah, this article was posted in one of the other threads but it definitely deserves its own!

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That article said nothing we already didn't know. It's also criticizing the coaches more than the QB's.

This is exactly why I'll defend Vince over Fisher. Fisher is in over his head. The coaches did not do their job all week in preparing this team for that defense. Hopefully its a wake up call, and be thankful it happened now instead of later when were in a rhythm.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Ding ding ding!

VY was awful. No denying that. But the game plan was absolute crap so you can only blame Vince for so much. That's why I hated the decision to bench him so much. Not because he wasn't playing poorly but because by benching him they essentially made Vince the scapegoat. Rather than looking in the mirror and saying "hey our game plan really sucks, maybe we should, ya know, make some adjustments" they opt to yank Young and try the same crap play-calling just with a different QB.... who, let's be honest, isn't nearly the playmaker VY is.

5. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

No disrespect to you Jeff but....

I'm guessing Mike Tanier has never stood on the sidelines of an NFL stadium with a red hanky/flag stashed in his belt or sock. I imagine if he did he would poop his pants at a minimum. I also imagine he would know insider stuff like why a coordinator called the play he called or if someone was hiding an injury, sick, got the play calls mixed up, missed an assignment, etc. Maybe he can listen to the Jeff Fisher press conference and find out that Nate W ran the wrong route on the Collins INT. Maybe he would have motivated Amato to get his shotgun snap off the ground. Maybe.

Maybe he sits at a desk and types on his PC or more than likely his Mac, like the rest of us.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yes and every elected official is also the best suited to do the job...

Seriously, with your line of argument, why are head coaches ever fired? I mean, they obviously know best or they wouldn't be head coaches...

• High Five High Five x 4
  7. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

^^ (dbc's post)

What's the point of your post? Are you saying we should dismiss the guy's analysis just because he's not a coach? I get that he doesn't have all the inside details. None of us do. But if that's the standard required to judge aspects of a teams performance, then we should all just shut our traps.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 6
  9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Seriously dbc, have you EVER thought Fisher was wrong about anything (other than letting VY be his starting QB of course)? Just because the guy is an NFL head coach doesn't make him infallible. Nobody is trying to put 100% of the blame for the Steelers game on Fisher. But to defend him as if he had absolutely nothing to do with it is ridiculous. With you it's always "Fisher didn't run the wrong route", "Fisher didn't fumble the ball", etc. Yes, Fisher isn't out there running routes but as coach he is expected to have a sufficient game plan and to have his players ready on Sundays. When that doesn't happen he has to share in the blame. Just because the guy is a HC and we are fans doesn't mean we can't ever question his decision making.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Lol...I saw it, too. This is an exhaustive subject. Good read for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar