Football is Entertainment

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by pettso, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettso

pettso Starter

and I'd argue that the Titans have been a pretty entertaining team to follow for the past three years.

2008:
    - Massive VY meltdown, suicide drama.
    - 13-3 #1 seed in the AFC (NFL?)
    - Steeler tower stomp
    - Haynesworth monster deal

2009:
    - How low can they go? 59-0 blowout went from bad to sad to funny
    - VY makes miraculous comeback
    - 99yd game winning drive against Arizona

2010:
    - Good start, VY benched against Steelers drama
    - Signing of Randy Moss leading to Superbowl chants
    - End up losing 8/9 games with Moss in an epic meltdown
    - VY/Fisher drama

For a bad team, there's been a lot to talk about and enjoy. Sure, we're not entertaining in the same way the Patriots are... and its more of an Al Davis style circus but you can't argue that its been a pretty eventful few years.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Maybe, but when it comes to football, I'd rather be entertained with joy rather than sorrow.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Last year, we were discussing Fisher's performance at the end of the 8-8 season and I pointed out then that the NFL is entertainment.

If Bud's goal is to make the maximum amount of money with his team, how does he do that? By adding a few dynamic players? By giving fans a playoff birth every few seasons? Avoiding many losing seasons? By having a coach who is respected in the community?

Fisher gives Bud all that. Or did to most fans.

Over the last decade, the Titans have had six winning seasons, four losing seasons and two 8-8 seasons. Even in those losing seasons, the Titans won only less than six games twice during that time. Since coming to Nashville, the Titans have never had more than back-to-back sub .500 seasons.

For the average fan, it has been acceptable. Many fans of other teams would love to say their team was in the playoffs at a rate of 50% of their seasons. I think most fans of the Titans were just happy the NFL was in Nashville the last decade and would have supported most anything.

Now, I believe the bloom is off the rose. The novelty has worn off. Expectations are higher. Bud is going to start feeling it if he can't get the Titans back to being a playoff contender because the fans of his team will no longer be entertained.

4. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Entertaining? I have had bouts of intestinal riot that were more entertaining than many of the Titans games this year...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar