Floyd sounds like Floyd the Barber

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Based on the guy not being on the roster and possibly never to return, how can he be considered a good pick?

Though I doubt we'll ever read anything official, I've been told from a number of people that Reese didn't do his homework on Jones and that many teams reported they wouldn't touch him. Word is Reese relied on a TE coach's son for a lot of the information he based his opinion instead of hiring a investigator to get more in-depth information.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Bongo was predicting Pacman would get into off field trouble THE DAY he was drafted.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I forget who was interviewing Reese but it was on NFL network and I do remember he said "yeah- looking back we probably should not have drafted Pacman Jones- that was a bad call on our part."

I remember it struck me odd that it was sort of an admission- but he didn't take the blame himself directly.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I consider it a good pick based on football playing ability. I agree more homework could have been done but the last time we passed on the "great" player for the one who wasn't a trouble maker we ended up With Dyson instead of Moss. When you have a chance to get a guy with unbelievable ability over a guy who isn't even in his league you sometimes roll the dice. Obviously if Pacman didn't possess unbelievable ability you pass on the guy.

Also take into consideration the games Pacman has helped us win. Without him last year no way we get to 8-8. Even if Pacman never plays another game for the Titans it will be interesting what kind of draft pick we get offered in a trade.

It really isn't much different IMO than signing a guy or drafting a guy who has a career endeing injury. You really can't anticipate it or predict it. Even with Pacman's shady background I still say there is no way anyone could predict the level of stupidity he has displayed.

5. TitanJeff

I have to disagree. These teams hire people to do in-depth background research. They have these players take extensive personality tests. They do multiple interviews. We know some teams were not going to take the risk until much later in the first round if at all. What did they know that Reese either didn't or ignored?

If what I've heard is true, then the Titans didn't go nearly into enough depth in checking his background before drafting him. That borders on pure negligence and that falls squarely on Reese's shoulders regardless if Fisher said he would be able to "handle" Jones.

It's the same as if the Titans had just checked his blood pressure instead of a full physical.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Your missing my whole point. Pacman is Dion Sanders. Carlos Rodgers and Antrell Rolle are not even in his league. Sometimes you take a chance on a guy like that. Sure it is a roll of the dice and hind sight is always 20/20. Reese would have looked like horse crap if he had taken Antrell Rolle and Pacman ended up not being suspended for a year. Then you would be on here pounding Reese for missing the pick and calling it another Dyson instead of Moss.

The arguemnt will be settled when we see what Pacman brings in a trade, if we trade him, or if he comes back how he works out. Pacman isn't exactly out of the league and he is still the property of the Titans. He still has value.

7. TitanJeff

Actually, I'm not. You seem to think it is acceptable to risk the #6 pick of the draft on a player without knowing all the facts. With what is at stake, that's insanity to me.

I'm no fan but that's a stretch by anyone's standards.

Not yet but they could be in time. My point is I'm sure the Cards and Skins would rather have those guys if they end up being productive starters the next five seasons over someone they could have gotten 1 1/2 years worth of higher production from.

Also, neither of those guys were taken at #6.

You take a roll if you do your homework, know the facts, and then make an educated decision. It's insane to use such a high pick not knowing all the facts.

Reese paid for that mistake with his job. It wasn't the only factor but it was a big part of it, IMO.

If Reese does his homework and then goes to Bud with the info and they draft Jones anyway, then the organization took the risk and it didn't pay off. But they had no way to evaluate the information because they didn't bother to gather the information. Huge difference. Complete negligence.

As opposed to how the Pacman decision has worked out so far?

My point here is he didn't even know the risks because he never bothered to do his job as well as he should have.

Very true. He may end up being the next Dion. Or he could be another player with great potential who had all the tools to be great but was too stupid to take advantage of it.

If that latter is the case, then he's a total bust in my eyes and a key reason Floyd Reese is now writing articles for ESPN.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff come on. We didn't draft randy moss who had a similar background problem and missed out on a player who could have pushed us over the edge to a couple of super bowls. We took a chance maybe in part because of what we missed out on by not taking moss and we ended up losing out. We took a risk on an unbelievable athlete.

Our brilliant coach said he could control the guy.

I think pacman was a much better pick for us than mike williams was for the lions. Pacman did help us win some games..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Riverman.....einstein revisited..

Timeline..

1/6/07 floyd reese resigns from the titans.

1/7/07 the new york giants play their final football game of the season..

1/13/07 the giants announce jerry reese as new GM..

Now help me on this the giants already must have known they were going to name a new GM even before the season ended given that just one week after it ended they announced. Given 1/13/07 was right in the middle of the playoffs the giants obviously had NO INTENTION whatsoever to interview ANYONE for that job.

What were the giants supposed to do tell jerry reese to f-off and start interviewing for the job he already thought was his? Hire floyd reese inside of a week after he resigned from the titans?

In short the giants job was NOT available! And therefore there were NO GM positions available so the fact that floyd reese was not offered a job means nothing!

10. TitanJeff

Moss was drafted at #21, right? There was a risk/reward factor there. When you draft in the top 10, you are counting on a major impact player you build around for the next few seasons. You hope the pick becomes the face of the franchise.

And you do all the homework you can to insure the player has the character to match his physical talent and skills.

I hope some day the truth comes out and we find out exactly how much (or little) background checking they did on Pacman and what influence Fisher had in the decision to take him.

I think everyone but Mike's momma sees him as a huge bust too.

Hey, it's history. Reese is gone. The Pacman pick was part of the reason. Maybe we'll all be happy in the end and actually look back at this time and laugh how we ever questioned the pick. But I won't hold my breath.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar