Floyd Reese Resigns...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by thnom, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

wow
    just got home from work
    and I had to check my calender just to make sure it wasn't April 1

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Reese took a lot of risks (and reaches too imo)
    I cannot remember a draft where " WTF was that!!! " did not enter my mind

Aside from the lines, our current "premiere" players at positions are either 1st round picks or aquisitions - for example

QB - Vince - 3rd overall (which *rumored* was not Reese's selection)
    RB - Travis Henry - aquisiton
    WR - technically Drew , and technically an aquisition
    OL - Kevin Mawae - aquisition

LB- Bulluck - 3oth overall
    CB - PacMan - 6th overall
    S - Chris Hope - aquisition
    DL - KVB - aquisition

it doubtful that any of the players from the 2003 draft will be on the roster when camp ends (theoretically the same could apply to the 2002 draft depending on what is done with Haynesworth)
    in 2004 Reese took 3 DE's, and we still need to aquire or draft one (or both) the same thing applys to WR's in 2005

too many "risks" were taken the last several years and most of them did not pan out, imo it will be refreshing to see a new draft process

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I was on my way back from Nashville when we heard the news on the radio. Things have started to move quickly. It is best that Floyd move on. He will probably not be unemployed for long, and good luck to him if he has something in line such as the Giants position. You can't hit on everything, and not every miss is your fault. As they say, he probably did the best he could with the hand he was dealt.

So long Floyd, and thanks for all the fish.

And of course, upon further review, this is exciting in the way of possible good change for the organization. I also would not have been surprised if Underwood was given more of the GM duties, while Fisher was allowed a little more ability in "shopping for groceries," however it would be spun or handled.

There will be some debate in the media, not that it matters, about whether Fisher should have assumed at least some GM duties or not. The thing that probably leaves some people uncomfortable is the uncertainty of the future of the position. There are few immediate names, unlike with coaches, and there is a reasonable chance it will be a person who thus far has only been in line for this position. Fisher is a quantity you think his decisions would be a little more transparent to us, but it is probably prudent that it remain a process by committee. (I think Adams has laid the almighty "Hand of Adams" to rest for a while...the future of the franchise was at stake this past year for goodness sake.)

4. 4andershv

4andershv Camp Fodder

I think this is a terrible move by Adams.. Of course we don't really know the real reason that he axed Reese, but it just doesn't make sense to do it now.

Ok, maybe the 2003 draft sucked and maybe he have drafted lots of busts, but as many others have pointed out that happens for every GM...

In 2004 and 2005 he drafted arguably two top-3 rookie classes and laid a teriffic foundation for the future, and how does Adams response?

By firing him...

Just doesn't make any sense... I have serious doubts about our new GM doing better than Reese..

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

thnom..

Your post is all over the map and i disagree with it. First of all nash was a 5th rd pick while barber was a 4th for the cowboys in the following year. The pick we would have had to use to draft barber would have been the one we used for brandon jones. And what is so damn great about barber anyway? Barber has fewer yards rushing the last 2 years than what henry did this season. When he cracks the 700 mark for a year talk to me about it..

Regarding calico we can't blame reese that he had career ending injuries. Before he was hurt he looked like he would be at least a solid #3 WR.

Haynesworth has been a good player for us so i would hardly make him the poster child for busts.

Reese has his faults but he may be the best GM in the league at drafting late in the draft. Finnigan is just another example of that.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Puck...

I don't see reese as a risky guy at all. Almost the other way around to a fault. Name a single first rd pick of his that was a major reach. We knew ahead of time who we are getting every year. Vince, pacman, wollfolk, haynesworth were all predicted. A risk would have been to not draft woolfolk and get the lessor known kid from bethune cookman.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yeah, we should expect every 5th rounder to be an immediate starter :rolleyes:

Yeah I can't believe he didn't draft Tom Brady either, everybody could see that guy would win multiple Superbowls :rolleyes:
    And lets give White more than 1 season as a disused backup runningback.

3rd round pick solid contributor to our defence. Who would you rather have had: Donnell Washington, Tim Anderson?

Jax picked Henderson because he was the best DT, we picked Albert because he was the 2nd best. It had nothing to do with "safe" or "baggage" it was purely draft position.

The draft is about picking the player you believe will turn out to be the best on the field, not who is the nicest guy to be around.

The target for drafting, imo, should be to get starters for at least a couple of years (or a good trade) in the first 2 rounds, solid contributors although not necessarily starters in the 3rd and 4th, and 5th and beyond is to pick the odd gem, fill holes on ST and for depth.
    In that light Reese has done pretty well, in the past 6 years only 2003 was a bad year and I'm not sure you can blame Calico and Brown's injuries on Reese.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

"Haynesworth, I honestly believe, will be a dominating player in this league," an AFC scout says, "if he can keep it all together upstairs."

That always was the concern with Haynesworth--what was going on in his mind.

source
    That sounds like baggage to me. The article agrees with you about Henderson being a better prospect.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Not sure I understand the purpose of your post, BP. If anything it underscored my point that we picked Haynesworth simply because Henderson wasn't available.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Haynesworth...

Haynsworth was the 4th DT taken in the draft in 2002. The chiefs took the legendary ryan sims and the cards took wendell bryant(who?). Haynesworth is clearly better than those 2 guys. The next DT taken after haynesworth was the colts with larry triplett in rd 2. Would you rather we had taken him?

Haynesworth was a good pick and still has one year remaining under contract and still has a good deal of his nfl career ahead of him. Sam adams and ted washington didn't make a pro bowl until their 7th season. Haynesworth will be entering his 6th season in 2007. Why are we writing haynesworth's obituary now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar