Floyd Reese Resigns...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by thnom, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

New bama coach...ot

I preferred rich Rodriguez or bobby petrino but saben is a good coach. The way i look at it saben with his history might jump ship in a few years but it will be because he had success and that's fine with me. Of course there is nowhere to go but up from bama the winningest program in the country. Certainly it will be hard for him to get a better pay package so he may be there to stay.

Like spurrier he probably prefers the college game.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

[​IMG]

1. Reese disproportionately drafted potential rather than history. He missed as often as he hit.

2. Drafting off of potential means PLAYER DEVELOPMENT is required. As HC, Fisher should have been involved/consulted more on the "great potential" picks to assess whether he could "coach 'em up". IMO, this is what caused alot of conflict between the two. I'm sure Bud heard alot of this from Fisher.

3. The 2003 class was an enormous BUST. The 2004 class was an average class at best. The '03 class being a success was crucial to surviving the cap purge with an OK season. That's why we looked so awful in '05.

4. The '03 draft class and the '05 season sealed Floyd's fate in Bud's mind. That why Underwood came to town to "clean things up".

5. Floyd is a good GM. His resume with 3 ROY's and the third highest rate of player retention among current GM's is impressive. The stats also reflect, however, an excellent job of player development and coaching.

6. I believe Floyd wanted to move on because of better financial opportunity. He WILL land quickly and for ALOT more $$$ than he would have if things could have been worked out. We are not hearing this, but I believe this is the MAJOR reason he resigned.

7. Our organization will be fine. We will land an excellent director of player personnel (not sure who) but this structure will allow more input from Fisher without him having to wear the extra hat of responsibility. It sounds like a very good arrangement for the organization at this time.

3. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I think Reese realized that Fisher and his staff were not the best at coaching anyone up, and started drafting players more ready to play. The exception is the offensive line, where players have been developed. When you watch players like Hill and LT make the same mistakes from week 1 to week 16, you have to wonder about the ability we have to improve anyone. This move will make or break Fisher, and it will be interesting to watch how it shakes out.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

another Reese move... the Travis Henry signing.

Henry made me a believer.

Henry has the heart to come back from serious injury.
    He found his mental resolve.

Calico although healed was shattered. He was no longer a football player.
    Can't really hang all that on Reese I guess and it's really bad what Williams did to him. I guess Big Al got even for him.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Good points. Re-signing Haynesworth now makes sense and to me should be a high priority. He could use the show of confidence, and we could use the opportunity to give him a Pacman type behavior contract with incentives for that and performance. Get him before he hopefully comes into his own without having to give up on him/ see him develop elsewhere and think, "Doh!" Just my GM 2 cents there.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I don't think Reese was not re-signed because of his performance but more to simply make changes because he and Fish were not on the same page. I have been on the record as not being pleased with Reese trying so hard to fill needs he passed on players that were BPA type guys. Still, if you look at his strategy even in his bad draft years his picks made sense based not only on who we needed but also on who we would need down the road. The trade with Houston was brilliant. Those players just didn't develop unfortunately. The Woolfolk, Calico and Brown picks had potential to really fill some holes at their respective postions and the biggest issue with Brown and Calico turned out to be injury as much as anything. Brown did rush for 1000 yards after EG left and turned in the best running game we had in years. Calico looked like he was really going to break out until the knee problems. Even Rien Long in the 4th round was a decent pick for where we got him and we really missed his pass rushing ability this year. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned but not all the blame is on Reese. Same deal with Troupe, Laboy and Odom. Injury has really hurt that trio but you can see the potential.

7. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

Ding Dong the witch is gone. :ha: :ha: :ha:

[​IMG]

8. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

I think many things played into this-I think Floyd saw the writing on the wall.
    As GM, he ultimately has to take responsibility for the whole McNair fiasco. Now I am pleased we picked up VY, but the way we parted ways with McNair was plain old awful, and VERY UnFisherLike in it's handling. Combine that with the QB controversy around Volek and Collins and you have very uncharacteristic moves for this organization. If only we could have been flies on the wall during the conversations Fisher must have had regarding each of these situations.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

That was Bud Adams' mess, nothing to do with Reese.

That was Jeff Fisher's mess, nothing to do with Reese.

IMO, Reese wasn't brought back because Adams' is unhappy about how long it's taken to recover from the cap purge and he apparently feels Reese hasn't done a good enough job in acquiring the needed players throught the draft and FA.
    Of course it's hard with a HC who refuses to play rookies if he can help it.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

but alas, Reese was partly responsible for the Volek / Collins fiasco
    the failure to get Collins signed in time to go to Clarksville put him back weeks.
    Floyd could have handled the Volek incident better - he knew he was going to trade him -the only question was when = the answer is 'should have been sooner'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar