Fishercam: Griffin to corner

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TNThunder, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I dont like the move to Griffen to CB...most rookie CBs suck anyway and that is with them trainin @ the position @ the college level....so...how will griffen fair...not that good. He will struggle i think...and im worried it might affect his moral...i think if nything we should vault him into safty and just c what finnagan can do opposite Harper...u never no.....late round stud possibility in Finnigan...i think so

2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I dont like the move to Griffen to CB...most rookie CBs suck anyway and that is with them trainin @ the position @ the college level....so...how will griffen fair...not that good. He will struggle i think...and im worried it might affect his moral...i think if nything we should vault him into safty and just c what finnagan can do opposite Harper...u never no.....late round stud possibility in Finnigan...i think so

3. DJB

DJB Starter

If I were the coach (and I'm not), I would start Harper/Finnegan & Hope/Griffin but I dont think thats going to happen. For whatever reason the Titans don't seem to want to give Finnegan a shot at anything other than nickle. Anyone have an idea why they wouldn't at least try Finnegan opposite Harper?

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

The issue will be whether or not they feel like they can adequately replace Finnegan at nickleback.

Funny thing is, Finny could be the best option at 3 positions: CB, FS, NB. I bet the reservation at CB is "can he jam at the line?" That to me is the most attractive part of putting Griffin at CB -- you know he can play the WR physically, and he would be strong support against the run. That is the upside at CB v Finnegan, I believe.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

From Finnegan's scouting report last year:

"Despite his lack of size, he plays with the intensity, effort and toughness that few safeties do -- he consistently attacks the play, does not stop hustling until the whistle and can make some big hits when he uses good technique. He has very good instincts which help him to consistently read and react to plays in front of him very fast. To make it in the NFL, he is going to need to play more under control so that he can tackle better out in space and will need to bulk up by at least 15 pounds to hold up physically in the NFL. It's unlikely he'll be drafted as high as he's rated, if he is drafted at all, but if he can bulk up, he has all the tools to become a good starting safety in the NFL."

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

On his athletic ability:

"Finnegan is a very good athlete, and that is what has enabled him to be so productive despite being very short and thin for a safety. He has very quick feet breaking on the ball, accelerates to full speed in a flash and has an explosive closing burst to the ball to finish plays. He has excellent playing speed for a safety which gives him sideline range vs. the run and pass and he can run with tight ends/wide receivers down the field. His agility and balance combine with his very quick feet so that he can change directions very fast and burst in the other direction. He has a tendency to allow separation in tight man-to-man coverage, but has the explosive closing burst to catch up and get back into good coverage position. When he stays under control, Finnegan has the ability to bend his knees and tackle well out in space -- although, due to his lack of size, he often gets dragged for some extra yards. While he is already very quick footed, he actually looks even faster than his timed speed at times because he consistently read the play so fast -- he gets to full speed in a flash and looks like a blur closing on the ball at times."

That last sentence is my personal favorite. "Looks like a blur."

40 time was around 4.36, btw. I seem to remember 4.34 listed somewhere.

7. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Actually, they don't do a lot of man to man, if at all. So jaming at the line is irrelevant. From his one start, and his play at the nickel, Finnegan is plenty aggressive, and his coverage skills are damn good. I too don't understand the logic that if you obviously have a possible player with starter potential, you keep him as a third option, just because they played that position well. It's not like back in the day when we had Mitchell playing Nickel exclusively. Now he was vey good at it, but I never really saw him beating outeither Samari, nor Walker/Dyson fot the #2 spot. In this case it is quite clear that Finn can beat the other guys out for the #2DB. So the question remains, WHY IS HE NOT GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO START?? WHY ARE THEY TRYING EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD EVEN STARTING OUR #1 DRAFT PICK AT A DIFFERENT POSITION?? Okay, got that off my chest.....Answers anyone????

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

That's Schwartzie's fault. Jamming at the line is never irrelevant, though.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Third option, why? Cuz that's how they think.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Strengths:

"Finnegan is an explosive safety who consistently flies around the field making plays vs. the run and the pass. He comes up very quickly in run support, closes explosively on the ball and can make hard, violent tackles when he stays over his feet and under control. He has very good playing speed chasing after the ball carrier in pursuit and has an explosve closing burst to make the tackle. He has very quick feet and consistently has shown the ability to read and react to the play very fast. He reads the quarterback/pass fast, closes on passes in front of him very quickly and makes hard hits after the ball arrives to break up the pass. He has the range to get outside to make plays on the ball in over-the-top coverage and has the hands to make the very tough interception."

You really don't see many scouting reports this glowing. He really was a steal in the 7th. His weaknesses have to do with his size and occasional overagressiveness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar