Fisherball wins in the NFL..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

hey, Obie9, I've got a few stats for you.

2006 - CJ's rushing total for the 2009 regular season. It had absolutely nothing do with VY's 8 wins down the stretch.

In October 2007 Rob Bironas accounted for 45 of the teams 81 points for the month. Twenty-six of those points came against the Houston Texans on October 21.

Rob Bironas led the Titans in scoring for 2005 and 2006.

How about Pacman Jones in that Giants game? Where's VY's solid performance without Pac's two picks? Without Pacman the Titans are likely shut out.

What is the point of this cherry picking? It's only to demonstrate that Sox is right. VY has had team success. VY has never been a force in his own right. He's had some very good games. I've been very proud of him at times but he's not a Peyton Manning kind of player who can "just win".

If you want to look at VY stats go look at him in terms of yards and see how he stacks up. I'm actually getting curious. I'll probably go look for myself...

let me guess... when it looks as I expect it might do you respond with "that's a product of the system" defense? Because I'm calling his limited success that and that's what you seem to be objecting to.

2. erut07

erut07 Camp Fodder

How many long winless streaks does this team have to go through without Vince before he starts getting some credit for the wins in your mind? Just curious.

Oh and as to the statement about defense leading him to victory, here are the Titans ranking on defense in terms of yards/game:

2006 - 32nd (25 ppg)
    2007 - 5th (18.6 ppg)
    2008 - 7th (14.6 ppg)
    2009 - 28th (25.1 ppg)
    2010 - 25th (20.4 ppg)

In every season in which Vince has come in and turned this team around, the Titans have had a bottom 5 defense. This season, Titans defense was in the bottom 10 and Titans still went 5-2 under VY. Keep in mind, Kerry's good season was carried by that AMAZING 2008 defense that allowed 2 TDs per game.

Basically, the only season Vince has had anything close to a helpful defense was his second season which we can all agree was a dissappointment (but he still got us to the playoffs). However, we would also all agree he is now a much better QB.

I don't know if he necessarily DESERVES another shot, but you're insane if you think the Titans are just going to go to the draft and find another QB of this caliber and be a good program next season. Not with this defense and not with this offensive line. VY is this franchise's best chance for at least another 18 months.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I've given him some credit. I do that all the time. What statement about "the defense leading him to victory"? I never said that. How does scoring defense affect a defenses' ppg? Have you ever seen a pick six make a difference for the Titans? F the defense for a damn minute, by the way, excellent stat citations. I commend that but where is this top passing game? I'll give VY the lion share of the credit when he's producing like Brady, Manning, Rivers, Brees or Ryan. Show me how VY is a top 5 or even top 10 qb leading a top 5 or even top ten offense?

Hey, you want to talk about winless streaks? Why is it VY does not make so many starts? What about Tampa in '07? What happened there? Week 1 during 2008? Against the Jags this year? Again with the Redskins? Could it be that VY just has a durability issue? Could it be he just gets discouraged when he injures himself? If VY was so great he wouldn't be missing so many starts. Peyton Manning doesn't miss starts. Peyton Manning is just smarter and tougher than VY. When VY is in the strip club picking fights Manning is at home in front of his Sony Bravia breaking down film.

VY offers us no chance over the next 5 years. I don't care if he offers us a marginally better chance over the next year. I'd rather start over than continue down this path. I never said we'd have a great program with a new rookie qb only that we would be better off.

4. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

I agree with you . I also think you need a tough strong running back, preferably not too tall.

It is very important that you not get behind and render the running back useless.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Fisherball wins 54% of the time, every time.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Fisherball is effective when we can impose our will on another team in the trenches. When that is the case, it is virtually unstoppable because we control the game with our offense and crush them with the front 4 of our defense. However, that has been far from the case in the past seven years, aside from when Haynesworth had a contract year. Kerry Collins leading a team to a 13-3 record is a great example of how Fishreball can be effective when your dudes are getting it done in the trenches.

7. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

If you can dominate both lines, I think you can win with almost any style of play.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Pot?... Is that you?...

I can't believe that after all these years of losing on this forum you cannot grasp one very simple fact: football is NOT a game of statistics. Baseball, maybe; football, NO.

Your stats make no defensible points... they never do. They ignore the dozens of other variables present in this TEAM sport. It is a sport where the team operates as a unit. One player's "stats" are directly impacted by the performance of the other players around him, rendering those "stats" moot. Every single stat I have ever seen you post on this forum can be EASILY destroyed by listing the variables which affected it. However, to actually bother doing that would be nearly as ignorant and pointless as your posting the "stats" in the first place.

You need to learn to actually watch the game instead of reading the Monday paper synopsis and trying to act like you know what happened because you can copy a couple of pointless numbers from it. The more you argue, the more I am convinced that you have never watched a game. And keep in mind that I told you this exact same thing long before the Taboo forum opened, so you can forget that "grinding an ax" bit.

This has been a PSA for all new and recent posters who haven't learned what you are yet.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

BTW, Rolltide, here's a stat directly lifted from analyzing your original post:

Fisherball wins games! Except when it doesn't.

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Exactly. The trenches are where it's won and lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar