Fisher Wants Titans to Run the Ball

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

In the NFL they will blitz the LB in the gap between the DE and DT with the purpose of inflicting as much harm on the QB as possible and while VY is faking the handoff to the RB he will get his hat handed to him (by the way a S will take the TE). Bulluck would love for a team to run that play at him. The play will work if run occasionally but not like they ran it at Texas.
    When VY is in the game the defense will play run first until he gets good enough throwing the ball to take the pressure off the LOS.

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I don't think VY will play much until he can pass well and I don't think it will take to long... If Fisher really does get back to running first like the ol' Eddie days every team will play run first like they did then. The difference being that they couldn't stop it even when they knew it was coming. Hopefully, we can get back to that brand of football. God, I've forgot what it was like to be good.

3. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

my guess is the coaches will do something stupid like run the option on youngs first play. they are too predictable sometimes. kinda like whenever pac was in the game on offense you knoew the ball was going to him. and the one time he didnt get it they sent him in motion across the field so when the ball was snapped he was in the backfield and there was an extra defender in the box to break up the play.

i hope they dont try the option until a good half season of "normal" play running with vince young

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I don't expect the Titans to run the same formation 95% of the time like the Texans did. But if the LB blitzes like you say then the TE will be open. If the safety is playing that close to the LOS then you go to the WR who has one on one coverage with no help over the top. VY could also just take the ball up the middle on a QB draw type play if the LB blitzed outside. I'm sure VY would love to follow Mawae to the 2nd level.

It isn't as easy to cover as you make it out to be and it isn't as easy to run as VY made it look at Texas.

But with Brown, VY, and Troupe all pressuring the LBs it will make life tough for them. If that LB blitzes and VY hands it off to Brown the cut back lane will to huge.

I agree that VY will have to show that he can pass the ball to be the total threat that he can be.

5. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

agreed...i was just trying to say we wouldn't do the whole pitching deal...

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

:lol:

Yep, TOP means squat when you can't score with it. But there's an upside! We set a record for most 3 yard gains by TE's on check down passes! :toast:

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Ohhhhh- YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Go Chow Go

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

In the national championship game USC blitzed Young almost every play in the 4th quarter and VY made them pay. Granted the USC LBs weren't NFL quality guys, but the USC defense under Carroll is known as an NFL style defense because of the variety of looks and blitzes.

I can't wait to see the VY packages. I think that Mawae and Bell are going to be huge in terms of pulling and leading VY into the 2nd level. I also love the fact that Givens is known for his blocking as well. If it is a designed run then we have 2 big backs in Brown and White who could lay blocks as well.

If we go 3 WRs and 1 TE then it will force teams to go nickle. We then put Givens on the same side as the TE opposite the 2 other WRs. On the designed run for VY Givens helps crack the LB with the TE who initially helps the OT with the DE. Mawae pulls to wipe out either the safety or the CB and Brown takes the other guy. With Bell playing the other guard position he has the feet to engage the DT then find the other LB. This gives you VY on the edge with Mawae and Brown leading the way against a safety and CB. While having an initial double team on the DE from the TE and OT as well as the LB to that side with the TE and Givens.

I wish their was an easy way to design plays on message boards. You know Chow is just loving his new toy in VY.

9. Eddie_Pine

Eddie_Pine Camp Fodder

Running is the safest way to securly gain yards with few fumbles knowing Chris Brown. The game plan will work and the Titans will Pound with Lendales Power and Chris's Speed!

10. Eddie_Pine

Eddie_Pine Camp Fodder

That is the best thing I ever heard Jeff say!! -RUN IT!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar