Fisher should have challenged the Hall catch

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dbc5631, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toly

Toly Free your mind

File for divorce?

2. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

We already know for a fact that it was a catch after they showed the replay 50 times in slow motion zoomed in. The only question was where he was at when he was touched.

3. dahobbs

dahobbs Camp Fodder

It looked like a catch and touchdown to me. Regardless though I'm not seeing why Fisher didn't challenge it. What is the worst that could happen? People act like this decision would have affected the ability to kick a field goal. If it becomes 4th and inches, you kick the field goal. Same result as happened. If the call is upheld, you lose a timeout and kick a field goal. What about that game indicated that we would want to use a timeout? What were we saving the challenge and timeouts for? Remember you don't get to kick a field goal first and then challenge the call. A challenge wouldn't have taken points off the board as some claim.

Why was a timeout worth more than a possible touchdown? There was simply no reason to not challenge that call. It was a no lose decision for the Titans. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but a head scratcher of a decision.

4. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Post #1 basically said the same thing. Quit plagiarizing me. :moon2:

5. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Just as I predicted in the original post Fisher would admit he messed up. The guy is honest, protects his players and owns up to his mistakes. If you don't like him you just don't know football.

If he had the opportunity to do it again, Coach Jeff Fisher said he probably would have challenged a Vince Young-to-Ahmard Hall pass at the goal line that was ruled incomplete midway through the fourth quarter Sunday against the Giants.

Fisher chose not to review because he thought initially that an overturned call would only lead to a fourth-and-goal situation on the 1. He planned to kick a field goal whether it was fourth-and-goal from the 1 or fourth-and-goal from the 5, and in that case, he’d rather keep the ball at the 5 for a better angle on the field-goal try.

But when he looked back at the tape later, it looked as if Hall had not only caught the ball, but had scored.

"The thought process did not involve whether it was a score or not (initially) — it involved complete-incomplete at that point," Fisher said. "I just let it go to preserve timeouts at that point.

"(But) it looks like it could have been overturned because he got his hands underneath the ball and he rolled over. I didn’t look at the TV tape, but there could have been a goalline shot that showed him with possession crossing the plane with the ball before he was touched down by contact."

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

19 pts? They were in great position to score 21 pts.

... yeah. Please don't act like you even watched the game if you didn't.

7. tennygrl619

tennygrl619 Rookie

OK, forgive my girl question here because I just don't know every single rule. But can a coach challenge 2 things? Like, could Fisher have challenged that it was a catch and also a touchdown? Or could he only challenge that it was a catch? And if he could only challenge that it was a catch, where would the touchdown have come from?

8. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

I don't think you can challenge two things at once, but in this situation, challenging the catch would show that he was over the goal line when he had possession, thus giving us the TD.

I could be wrong though.

9. tennygrl619

tennygrl619 Rookie

That's what I was thinking, if you could only challenge one thing at a time, but I wasn't sure. Anyone know for sure?

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

When you challenge the whole play is under review. Obviously things like holding and pass interference aren't under review because they're judgment calls, but down by contact, catches and first downs are all looked at at the same time.

So, in short, yes, you can "challenge" two things at once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar