Fisher on the Hot Seat???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rcarie, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Exactly.

This kind of speculation is of the "armchair" variety.

But, Bud could be that senile.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Fitantitans, Slackmaster, Yes, Fisher is a good coach. The issue at hand, if we see another year where the team doesn't make any progress, and ends soft, do you still give him a pass? Do you not put any of the end of last season on him?

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Nobody has brought it up, but I think another facet to consider is that Fisher's personal life (recent divorce) may have affected his focus last year. His attitude didn't quite seem the same. eg- team "retreat/BBQ's", tolerating Pac-Man's tantrums too long before yanking him etc.

Moving the team to a new location to set a new "military-like" attitude, that seems like the old Fisher. And I agree GoTitans3801, another year of players giving up on plays, poor tackling, mental mistakes, etc would indicate it is time for a coaching change. I just don't see it happening. We may only win 7-8 games, but if the players are playing hard every down, Fisher is safe.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Oh, I definitely agree with that. Even if we don't see much improvement in the record, progress is what I'm looking for. If we're playing hard again, I have no complaints with Fisher.

Interesting potential theory on last year.

5. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Not to start another fire Schwartz thread. No, REALLY. He is starting with a clean slate. However, most of the players that did not pan out were defensive players. When was the last time we spent a first round pick on an offensive player. Vince, Eddie, McNair. The last few years we have drafted heavily on the defensive side of the ball because there was need. The offense has seen the likes of Mason, a 4th or 5th round pick and McCareins traded. Wycheck retired. George gone and 3 OCs. Last year the wideouts were Bennet (undrafted), Calico (2nd or 3rd round), and 3 rookies none of which were 1st round picks. RB's Brown (not a #1) and no name TEs.

All I can say is that Reese seems to be able recognize offensive talent. Coincidence? Depends on who you ask.

6. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

I'll tell you what. Not retaining Fisher long term would seriously be a hudge mistake. One we would feel for years. This last year of his contract is going to make me nervous... seeing that '07 is a option year and there has been no talk about a extension. I have no problem letting go players, ie: George, McNair, Kearse, Rolle, Mason.. ect. but letting Fisher go would haunt this organization for years.

7. kimberly

kimberly Camp Fodder

you guys all know how i feel about hodge, i think that he is a pompus ***** if you ask me, and he has been hit in the head way to many times! these idiots don't pay any attention to us, and look closely at what we are doing! reese is the master of evalutating talent, thats why we were so good all those years before 04. cap hell happens to all teams, and all teams have to rebuild, any one that keeps up with football knows that. OH , HE HE THINKS THAT LEINART AND YOUNG SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRAFTED IN THE FIRST COUPLE OF ROUNDS? WELL, LISTEN UP HODGE, YOUNG AND LEINART , WILL BE THE TWO GREATEST QB'S TO EVER PLAY THE GAME WHEN THEIR CARRERS ARE UP, SO CHOKE ON THAT SLAPPY!

8. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Give him a pass for what? Is it really his fault that we had back to back losing seasons? Does it have nothing to do with the opponents trying to win too?

I have had plenty of bosses who thought the same way; bad results, fire someone and hire a new guy. They were all idiots. The knee-jerk reaction of finding someone to pin the blame on and making a scapegoat out of them is a bad way to run a team or a business.

Incentives in the contracts work for coaches as well as players.
    Thinking that a poor record must mean the coach screwed up is silly. We wouldn't need to draft good players if that were true. Just get the best coach and then the team with the best coach automatically wins.
    It just doesn't work that way.
    And since it doesn't work that way, yes, you "give him a pass" exactly because it doesn't work out that the best coach wins the games.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Although the last two years have sucked, hitting the panic button on Fisher would Bud Adams dumbest move ever. He isn't getting any younger and all he wants is to see his team win the Superbowl.

I don't care who you bring in as a new head coach, making such a move would just prolong the rebuilding cos a new coach would want to put his own stamp on the team. Just look at what Parcells has done in Dallas.

Adams sticks with Fisher or he kisses his superbowl chances goodbye

10. 4andershv

4andershv Camp Fodder

Such as?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar