Fisher likely gone after season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

At least, thats the vibe I'm getting from these quotes..

Sounds like barring a 3 game win streak (thank god theres no Vince Young to get it and save him), Fisher's gone after this season.

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I just wish VY could really play without the other 10 guys and a D. Probably too busy dancing with his half naked boyfriends - not that there is anything wrong with that.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Great. Now we go from mediocre coach with mediocre qb play to new coaching staff that will probably have a month to install everything with mediocre qb play.

4. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

So you'd rather we stayed mediocre indefinitely?

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

This is the way I look at it. In five years, who's still going to be in their respective positions? Jeff Fisher will be a head coach with another team unless he decides to take a break. Vince Young will be lucky to be more than a stop gap starter for another team. Unless Bud Adams buys a second NFL franchise no one is going to put up with his drama.

I'd rather we keep a coach who has shown he has the ability to be a good coach for one more year with the help of a competent quarterback for the first time since 2004 than be dead in the water with Young and a coaching staff grasping at straws for a year because they didn't have time to implement their schemes thanks to a lockout.

Kerry Collins isn't going to be on this roster next year, Fisher or not. Young is not going to start all 16 games next year, Fisher or not. Time to start over at that position, whether it be an early pick/free agent/trade and see if we can put some things together on defense.

This offense is literally a quarterback away from being unstoppable, I really do believe that. The defense is another story, but there is definitely precedent of defenses doing total 180s within an offseason's time.

6. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

I don't see it that way. Clearly this year statistically, Vince had it together. You don't maintain a top-5 QB rating for SEVERAL weeks, possibly his entire season (I didn't track it as his season began to end) without knowing what you're doing. Fisher however, has not rallied the troops by any means.

I say keep the guy who is able to show he improved this season and right now that's clearly Vince rather than Fisher. Fisher has now tied the losing streak from last year that forced Bud's hand and I think Bud is none too happy to be looking at the same mess again but rather than be able to fix the problem, you hear Fisher doing interviews saying the team is better without Vince.

I hated Vince's outburst, but the further we get away from it, the less it seems to matter. We're just now starting to peel back this veil of Fish that is showing his true feelings on Vince and how foolish he's being.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

That view is why Fisher has kept his job for so long.

Many young coaches have come through with success in recent years that it can't be viewed as the risky process it once was.

Building a winning franchise is tough.

The Texans have tried very hard and are good examples of just how tough it is. Kubiak is seemingly close putting a great team together each year for the last 2 seasons but the Texans can't get over the hump.

Do they stick with Kubiak or try again?

Almost is a dangerous place to be for a franchise.

It's time to try someone different.

• High Five High Five x 5
  8. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

I think we would have been in trouble any year before this one. Now it's clear Vince can make all the throws a run-first offense can ask of him so any new coach can easily go to that his first year here and still get good QB production. Either that, or we pull a Raven and go rookie head coach rookie QB.

9. stump1000

stump1000 NFL Insider

I say if we get a new head coach and keep VY, we'll go to a Superbowl in the next few years. I hope its more than just showing up though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

The idea of a new coach, new staff, new scheme is a little daunting. But what is the worst that could happen? Starting off 0-6?

I think the league has changed and the game has changed as well. First of all, more colleges are running pro-style offenses so more players are coming in better prepared for the NFL. Free agency has also meant more players are playing for more coaches in more schemes. Change isn't as difficult anymore.

I've never seen so many new coaches have near-immediate success. Mike Tomlin, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith, I think you could argue Raheem Morris, certainly John Harbaugh. And many of those guys did it with rookie/young QBs!

Heck, look at Dallas. Sometimes no change other than a difference presence and personality is needed. Dallas is a lot like us - talented players who were inexplicably underperforming. Lost their QB, but changed coaches and it sparked a change in the players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar