Fisher is not the problem..............................

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansCountry25

TitansCountry25 Veteran

Jeff Fisher is a good coach there is no doubt about that and he didnt just up and turn into a bad one over night. Now they had a good run with some good picks going back to Eddie, Steve, Jevon, and some good FA deals Frank Wycheck. We go to Super Bowl 34 with that group and have several good years after that. Now since then the drafts have been poorly managed in my estimation such as; Haynesworth (say what you will just has not lived up to his potential). Other draft pics Woolfolk(or Wussyfolk) awful pick, Tony Beckham please, Ty Calico(not his fault necessiarly but still a bust), and countless others that are no longer on the roster. Some poor FA moves Carl Pickens, trading Justin Mccarins I still feel was a bad move, and several other decsions.

The Steelers are a perfect model to look at. They went to Super Bowl 30 (XXX) and their starting quaterback Neil O'donnell is now Channel 5s' football expert/analyist and it was Roethlisburger in Super Bowl 40. Point is it took them 10 years to get back to the SuperBowl and they went through several bad drafts and FA moves(Kordell Stewart, Bam Morris, etc). Not to mention many many coaching and GM changes until they got it right and the constant has been Bill Cowher. Right now we are dead smack in the middle of the bad period after a roster explosion and bad drafts and bad FA choices. I think we had a decent FA signing especially with Thornton and Hope I think they are solid football players and I think for once we had a half way decent draft with VY and L White, and I think the rookie Tulluoch is gonna be good and Cortland is already showing good promise.

Bottom line is it will take some time to get this right again and yes its frustrating to see the Titans get blown out of games but Fisher is the right guy. It took the Steelers 10 years to get back to the Super Bowl and a good while to get back as a serious playoff contender. Yes they made trips to the playoffs but bottom line is they didnt get back to the big dance for 10 years and it will just take time to get the right talent and coaches in place. Hopefully it wont take till 2010 to get there but if it does I will still be with the Titans. Good Lord look at the BROWNS there still a franchise and have never seen a Super Bowl.

2. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I too think Fisher is a good coach. However, what now concerns me is whether Fisher is a good executive. That is what he is now given his increased power over the coaching staff decisions, etc. I wonder if the added responsibilities beyond just being head coach are now showing their affects.

I heard McClain say yesterday that he felt if Bud was to force the issue of firing "a coach" during the season that Fisher would go down with the ship rather than make a mid-season change like that. That bothered me....because while I believe in strong loyalties and supporting your staff...you have to be smart about it and if someone is not getting it done and bringing your company/team down and cannot seem to handle their job any longer, you have to replace that person.

So cutting to the chase, where should Fisher's loyalties lie? To one coach at the expense of 53 players, the remaining coaching staff and the fans?

That will get a CEO fired in the business world. It may get Fisher fired as well.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So the Steelers are the perfect model? In 1996, the season after their SB appearence Cower used 40 different starters over the course of the year because of injuries and still coached his team to a 10-6 record and 5th consecutive trip to the playoffs.

Cower started coaching in 1992 and didn't have his first losing record until 1998. That record was 7-9. The next year, with the team depleted they went 6-10. in 2000 the rebounded with a 9-7 record. That is 2 losing seasons in 9 seasons.

Cower's next losing season was 2003 when they finished 6-10 missing the playoffs for the first time in 3 years. In 2004 they went 15-1 with a rookie QB. In 2005 they win the SB.

In short they had a whopping 3 losing seasons sinse 1992 when Cower took over as coach and they never had the embarrasment type season we have had to endure over the last couple of years. Cower is a much better coach than Fisher.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Fish doesn't fire coaches. that's the big difference. He hasn't coached a winning "low tide" talent pool yet.

Yes! Fisher doesn't change his staff.

Absolutely. Fisher is more loyal to his peers than to the players, the franchise and most importantly THE FANS. He is a pretty good HC, but only now are we seeing he doesn't possess the management skills required to triage a remedy. He doesn't know how or won't fire anybody.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I reserve judgement on Fisher's calls because I'm not even sure he's the one making them.. The Titans are clearly a rule by committe team. I say cut Fish loose to make all the calls for at least another season or two then cut the fat if need be...
    Guarranteed if Fish is let go another team hires him right out of the gate and no doubt he'll make it contingent upon having the power to make th calls himself. Then we will really know how good or bad he is...

6. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

Fish is the problem.................he is the reason JS, Sirmon and LT have jobs and no one else.

7. TitansCountry25

TitansCountry25 Veteran

If Fisher does end up going else where who would possibly want and could coach this team in whatever direction it is going? If you can answer that my ears are all open. Especally knowing they would have to work with Floyd Reese.

8. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

Mike Singletary
    Pepper Johnson
    Wade Phillips
    Jerry Gray
    Jim Bates
    Cam Cameron
    Tommy Tuberville

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

two of those guys arent even coordinators yet. just say no to college coaches.

i'd like a guy like ron rivera, DC for the bears.

10. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Wow someone else mentioned Mike Singletary. I thought I was the only one who considered him a decent candidate for the HC job should it become available.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?p=202076&highlight=singletary+fiery#post202076

I know he hasn't been a head coach or DC but the guy has been around some of football's best minds and is himself a real student of the game. I think the fact that Singletary's legendary presence would command respect from every player on the roster is huge. I'm sure a guy like Singletary would have no problem finding top notch coordinators. I also really like the fact that he's spent two years in SF directly under Nolan as assistant head coach. Nolan seems like a highly organized, even keeled guy and I'm sure Singletary will have learned a lot of the necessary skillsets needed to be an NFL head coach during that time.

If Fisher should be turfed I doubt Adams will hire Mike. I've a feeling the Titans will end up with a son of a Bum. While that might not be the sexiest choice it might not necessarily be a bad one either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar