Fisher goes hypothetical for VY

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Just had a chance to review Jeff Fisher's breakfast session with the media in Dana Point, Calif. at the league meetings.</p> <p>Inevitably, he was asked about Vince Young, and it was one of his answers I found most striking</p> <p>Having covered Fisher for a long time, I know two buzz words to steer clear of with him -- "surprise" and "hypothetical."</p> <p>Ask him if he's surprised by something and you'll never get anywhere. Fisher prides himself on being prepared, and if you're prepared, you're never really surprised.</p> <p>As for hypotheticals -- he often responds to a leading line of questioning he doesn't care to get involved with by saying he doesn't deal in hypotheticals.</p> <p>So imagine my surprise when I read that Fisher used the word, without apparent prodding, in talking about Vince Young.</p> <p>Asked if Young was going to compete with Kerry Collins for the starting quarterback job, here's what Fisher had to say:</p> <blockquote> <p>What's interesting about our business is you get to play the best players. So we are going to do that at every position. Kerry is returning as our starter. If for some reason Vince has a great camp and Kerry hits a wall, I'm talking about a hypothetical, but there is always that possibility. It's clear Kerry is returning as our starter and Vince is going to continue to do what he did last year and that's put himself in position to be the quarterback we drafted him to be.</p> </blockquote> <p>I answered a chat question last week saying the only route to VY retaking the starting job was the unlikely combination of two ingredients -- unpredictably poor play by Collins and unexpectedly good play by Young during camp. It would appear we accurately gauged things on that one.</p> <p>One other interesting quarterback related point from Fisher. Asked about a third signal-caller, he said the team would certainly have one in camp, but didn't sound as if he thinks it could be a draft pick.</p> <p>"I would expect a veteran," he said.</p> <p>Tennessee may still be trying to sign Patrick Ramsey.</p> <p>More to come from Fisher's breakfast chat in the next few days.</p>

More...

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Haters.. the lot of ya..

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Huh?

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yikes. So Fisher is so convinced VY won't have a great camp he has to use terms like "if for some reason" and "there's always that possibility" just to try to imagine it?

5. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

so don't be surprised when VY is on the bench next year and don't be surprised if he is our starter......be prepared for everything. thanks for the lesson

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm posting it now so Phi and Morpheus don't have to later..

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

For those of us who have followed Fisher LONGER than PK...here's the translation....

Collins is our starter. We want to encourage VY to develop and give him hope that with a great camp, anything can happen. We don't expect VY to be real competition nor are we sure he can really be our #2 (even though that's where he'll be on the depth chart) this season, so we'll bring in a vet as backup insurance.

Gut

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What i understood from that is that fisher is trying to motivate vince by letting him know there is a chance though not likely for him to take that job away from kerry.

9. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

You mean kinda like last year VY was the starter and KC was the backup, there was a chance though not likely for KC to take the job away from Vince?
    Even though what happened last season wasn't likely, it happened.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I love how Fisher says "What's interesting about our business is you get to play the best players. So we are going to do that at every position."

Something he's taken a lot of criticism for being terrible at the last 10 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar