Fisher for Coach of the Year?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

You assume first of all Billy would have played badly enough to be a scapegoat. His past numbers don't bear that out. But Volek doesn't call the plays, so it would be debatable as to who was at fault. When he got in for his one play against GB he checked off and promply threw a nice pass that went for a TD, then he was yanked. Maybe you need to wake up to reality. This town is pretty football smart, and realize not all problems are QB related. Putting Young in would have been brutal. There would have been cries for Volek, just like when McNair was here. Fisher eliminated that problem.

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

By the time we played the GB game Collins was already here. There was talk Volek was not even coming to the game.

And to imply that Fisher would throw a game to get the fans on Young's side? Just does not make sense.

3. I'm sure Billy would have played badly enough. Not so badly as Collins did, but badly enough. He played badly enough in preseason that people were already complaining.

Volek's past numbers were good under Heimerdinger's longball passing game. Like I said, if there's one thing Billy can do (and that may be it) it's throw a good deep ball. In 2005, when they didn't have a deep threat going, he wasn't nearly as good. In his only start that year, against lowly Arizona, he was anything but impressive.

Volek made a name for himself in 2004 (especially in 3 big games) throwing deep balls to Drew Bennett (where he also made a name for himself, catching 10 of Volek's 14 TDs over the last half of that season). What you'll note at the end of that season was that defenses figured that out and, the last 2 games of 2004, he got shut down. They just had to play 2-deep, which is exactly what Arizona did in 2005.

But, like I said, Volek's play wasn't the reason he got benched. The Titans would have let him play to give Vince Young time to mature before they let him play. He simply wasn't ready. But Volek's mouth screwed up any chance for him to start and, thus, they had to replace him with a veteran. If they wanted a scapegoat, they had one right there in Volek, who had done nothing during the preseason and had already given the coaches a reason to replace him. Instead of going with Young, though, they signed a veteran starter at the last minute.

4. MattPan25

MattPan25 Guest

starkiller is dead on, i think that should kill all this nonsese about volek who isnt even on the team anymore so let forget about him anyways. he was never good and never will be. also gloat without fisher, eddie, and mcnair we all would have nothing to look back on and nothing to talk about right now. we would have proably have been a middle of the pack team and never made the playoffs all those years, so i dont wanna hear it anymore about how they held anyone back. if someone is a true titans fan u respeact where they took us and let them be.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Starkiller is wrong..

I guess starkiller has already forgotten that we were just one game from making the playoffs. We win one of those early games and we are playing the colts today!

To say that volek might have played "not as badly" as collins is funny. How could anyone play that bad? Volek wouldn't have been nearly as bad and with volek we have a chance to win either the miami game or the jets.

As for the volek's poor attitude let's remember that fisher instigated a lot of that by bringing in a guy one week before the season and said that he was competing for a job. fisher didn't have to say that even if he was thinking it. Then after less than a week collins was our guy. We didn't have to go into this season with a rusty unprepeared QB fisher choose to do that.

Part of fisher's job is to smooth things over with difficult players he has done it with pacman and haynesworth and failed with volek guarenteeing us a horrible start.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Matt..

We are evaluating the job jeff fisher did this season. Volek pertains to that.

You mention steve, eddie and fisher together but is it possible that fisher is an average coach who has had some success because he had players like that?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Starkiller exposed..

Starkiller makes the claim that volek had a few good games in 2004 and then was fiqured out and exposed and since has not been any good. Of course that brings up interesting questions as to why jeff fisher for 95% of camp was willing to have volek as his guy knowing that he was exposed years ago or why a veteran QB wasn't brought in sooner.

But never mind all that because starkiller is wrong, again, as usual.:ha:

Volek's stats post exposure from the 14th game in 2004 on.

74-135 760 yards 5tds--3ints..a 74 rating which is almost identical to volek's preseason rating. Wasn't the passing rating for this team the first 5 games something like 45? A 74 rated passer early in the year and we are 2-3 or 3-2 instead of 0-5.

At the very least fisher should have kept volek to start the first couple of games until they thought vince was ready.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

RT,
    From what we saw on the field, I agree. I think Volek should have been kept around to start and Collins should never have been brought in. But I also think that there's something to Fisher's statement that Volek never took the starting job like he should have. When preseason comes around, and your QB isn't stepping up, you need to do something. He had the ability to make the change because it was a short term move, Vince would be starting later in the year anyway. Also, it's my impression that Volek's poor additude started BEFORE Collins was brought in, which was the reason he came.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Volek had a terrible attitude before that caused in large part by his agent who had convinced him he was a bona fide starting caliber player who should have been starting somewhere for more money. I agree volek was a jerk but don't wait until one week before the season to give the guy the death penalty. Maybe volek should have been gone in the first place, he did have some trade value at one time.

Either way you go with him or with someone else but don't make the change one week before game one. It was a system wide problem and we should have had a vet QB in camp competing with him all along..

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

The poor attitude comes from being told you are going to be the starter, seeing Vince drafted, and then realizing you aren't going to be the starter for very long. Vince was getting half the snaps in preseason. This is not the way you prepare your starter for the coming year if you are serious about him being your starter. I think Volek was under the assumption that even though this was his last year, he would start, and try to take the team as far as he could. It was obvious early on this was not the plan management had. He had it bad enough with the McNair merry-go-round, waiting until the last minute to find out if he would play, now he has Vince looming over his shoulder, and since he is in the lame duck position of this being his last year, he is treated like a stepchild instead of someone that is going to lead this team somewhere. Setting Volek up to fail ended all problems for down the road, and eliminated any QB controversy. His preseason stats were more than adequate for a team struggling to rush the ball, yet people say he played poorly. Well, he is on a team now that is going to the playoffs, and probably the Superbowl, and is only one play from being their starter. Maybe Marty was just being charitable and ignoring all his "bad play" when he got him for insurance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar