Fisher Fined for Post-Game Comments

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans Coach Jeff Fisher was fined $12,500 by the NFL for his comments following the 27-26 loss to the Ravens. Fisher's remarks were due to a fumble by Ravens RB Mike Anderson which officals ruled was down by contact before he lost the ball. DT Robaire Smith recovered the fumble, but despite Fisher's challenge, the Titans were not awarded the ball because officials, while acknowledging there was a fumble, said video showed "no clear recovery." Fisher said in his post-game interview, "That was a bad call by the umpire (Jim Quirk) and that's what bothers me. We all saw it. Everybody saw it. … I hope they hear me (at the NFL office) in New York because that was field position and we lost by a point." Fisher has the right to appeal the fine.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I hope he appeals it. It was one of the worst calls I'd ever seen.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

What's there to appeal? League police is you're not allowed to criticise officials no matter how badly they perform.

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

If anything, the ref should be fined for making a bogus call.

I think the whole system of evaluating and fining the refs should become more open and public.

If a game is being judged by those who have consistantly recieved low marks, been fined, or often had field calls reversed, then it should be stated in advance, and special attention paid to the in game calls.

There should also be a mechanism for ejecting the umpires when they commit grievous errors. That would have to come from the league, but it needs to happen in a few high profile cases to restore confidence in the game.

5. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Forget the rules. One of the worst calls in recent memory deserves to be dragged out and publicized for as long as possible.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

He knew he would be fined. He's a guy who never criticizes, and he was pissed. He wanted the statement to be made, and I bet he won't mind paying it. If he appeals, I'd bet it's just to keep it in the spotlight.

7. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

Some Baltimore fans where even saying that it was a bad call, after the game ended, of course. Fisher knows all of the rules. He is on the committee that helps put them in place. He knew that he would be fined and spoke anyways. I was at the game and saw the disgust that the fans, the team, and Fisher was showing. The Titans already had their O-line and Henry on the field to take over after the reversal. I was blown away when I saw the fumble and recovery and then heard "The play stands as called on the field." Titans won this one against the Ravens. They just lost the game against the officials.

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

What really hurts is the ref told Fish he was also challenging for possession, and since we came out of the pile with the ball, it seemed a "no brainer" to do that also. They didn't just blow one call, they blew two.

9. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

From what I understand, it was a calculated move. The team, as a whole, were ruled up about the call. The post game locker room was buzzing with the bitterness of the lost. They feel it's one thing to lose on your own, but when you team makes plays to change the game and have a ref's call negate it, makes it unbearable.

Fisher literally took one for the team to give the guys something to rally behind. He made the statement to show that he was doing something and not just taking it. Nice gesture.

10. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Let's rally behind Fisher. While he must pay the NFL personally, we can make a donation to http://www.preventblindness.org/ (formerly the Society for the Prevention of Blindness). The "make a donation" link is on the right of the page.

This is a legitimate organization, and donations are tax-deductible. I think Fisher would appreciate the irony -- and I hope it gets some pub so the officiating crew hears about it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar