Fisher Defends Haynesworth's "Roughing"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: On Sunday, DT Albert Haynesworth was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit against Texans QB Matt Schaub. The hit flattened Schaub and knocked him out of the game with a hip injury. But Titans coach Jeff Fisher feels it was the wrong call. "I told him that was a clean hit," said Fisher. "When you are dealing with quarterbacks and dealing with contact they are going to err on the side of caution. The league needs to protect the quarterback. It was not a foul, but so be it." Fisher doesn't feel Haynesworth is a marked man by the league for his past actions. "It has nothing to do with who the player is. When the decision is made to throw the flag, it all happened so fast that any official on the field … has no idea who's hitting the quarterback."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I'm glad to see that Coach Fish is standing behind him. People are still calling it a helmet to helmet hit and if you watched the replay clearly is wasnt. His head was to the side. Also I wanted to laugh when the guys in the booth said he drove him into the ground. Well sure he did, but thats what happens when a 300+lb man hits a 200 pounder. At contact he stopped driving his feet and just took him down. All around it was just a good hit and a very suspect call IMO.

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Well, somebody has to protect the Cowbabies.

4. TitanMVP

TitanMVP Guest

(First post-Hello everyone)
    Its funny but to me when i read that it dosen't seem like he is really defending him. I do believe that haynesworth is being targeted. The media keeps saying it is a helmet to helmet hit that put schaub out of the game but his injuries are to his hip and ankle. What does everyone else think?

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

It was not helmet-to-helmet, in the sense that the rule was made. To stop head butts. He ran straight up into Schaub, wrapped him up, and came straight down. Sure, with some force, but that's football.

Roughing the passer might could be justified, but not helmet-to-helmet.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'd like to see the play in slow motion. Someone grab that sucka and make a nice animated gif with it.

:brow:

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I don't really mind the call - it's tough for a ref to tell sometimes, and that is serious enough that I don't mind it called when it just appears to be too close. I do wish some calls like that were reviewable, since it clearly wasn't helmet to helmet. I also wish refs would be consistent about it - there was a clear helmet-to-helmet hit on a kickoff monday night that wasn't called. We've seen Vince get dropped with nothing called for things much worse than what we've seen AH or KVB called for.

AH just put on a fantastic hit. He didn't do anything extra to drive him into the ground, it wasn't late at all. It was just a perfect head-on hit, and he even had the forethought to keep his head over Schaub's shoulder to avoid helmet contact. Glad Fish is sticking up for him.

8. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

I wonder how is it that he was supposed to stop him momentum after he's made contact with the QB, and they are on the way down. AW had the law working against him......The Law of gravity. It was called a HTH hit b/c that's all the sumbeaches could think of at the moment. It was a clean hit and everyone knows it, including those biased azz blind as a bat refs. (that call pissed me off, can u tell?)

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

those aren't supposed to be called because the league says the QB is in a defenseless position, so they put skirts on them.

10. metal957

metal957 Starter

clearly not a helmet to helmet hit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar