Fisher: As long as we're winning, Collins is our QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Jeff Fisher just said more firmly what he'd hinted at and indicated last week: Vince Young's not getting back on the huddle anytime soon so long as things don't fall apart.

"As long as we're winning, Kerry is our quarterback," he said.

Pressed for more, he offered this:

We're going to get Vince back and get his knee back and work with him getting back involved in the offense, but Kerry's going to go ahead and play for us until he struggles or whatever else happens. You saw by the way he played and just in light of everything, it just makes sense to go with this.

Fisher declined to go into the specifics of making that decision - "that's just the way we're going" -- and said he's not had a conversation with Young about it.

"He's eventually going to be under center for us," Fisher said. "When that happens, I don't know, but right now, Kerry is our quarterback."

It's the right move, even if Collins absorbs some sacks and throws some interceptions.

Young's got a lot to come to terms with, and based on his comments last week, he's in denial that anything is at all wrong. It's not healthy for the team for him to be in position to lead it right now.

More...

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Wow. I was not expecting Fisher to say anything of this type so bluntly. I guess it's Collin's team now. We should be able to great things with him at the helm. Feel a little bad for VY, but this way he gets time to recuperate.

3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Earth to Vince.......shape up or be a bust............Collins is getting older, he can't stay forever. Chris Sims is still young and wants a full time job, he'll compete. Vince, you are not God's gift to the NFL or even a first tier QB. Open your eyes, you are losing your job right in front of you.

I'm glad Fisher did this.

4. titansfan4eva24

titansfan4eva24 VY 4 Life

I have a strong feeling that Fisher is also doing this to light that fire back up in Vince, that fire that seemingly burned out to smoke the past year. I hope it works...

5. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Good point. VY needs something to wake him up, and this could be it. That, or seeing us dominate without him.

6. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I feel bad for VY as a person, because he obviously has some issues and I hope they get resolved. But, as a player, he has done nothing but hold this offense back. Another young QB with the name of Cutler has 2 starting receivers who are younger than he is, and he has turned them both into studs.

We have given Vince a slew of them, and none have panned out. We can not put all of the blame on the receivers. If Marshall was one of the receivers we took, I have a feeling he wouldn't be NEARLY as good as he is with a QB like Cutler slinging him the ball. And, quite possibly be cut by this team because he wasn't given the proper chance to showcase his talents.

I hope the best for Vince and this team. I just feel it's not a very good fit at this point and would love to be proved wrong.

7. ilincoln

ilincoln Camp Fodder

As far as im concerned there is no rebuilding anymore, no waiting. Its the NFL, you are here to win... if Warner can take the job in training camp, great. If Vince stumbles, and Kerry can get it done, great. It's now, not next year, not tomorrow. Step up and get the job done or get out of the way.

This my first post in a long time, it was nice watching a team show up to play this sunday. Lets have some more of that.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Although people will argue, I think that in 30 MPH winds in Cincy, or receivers showed yesterday that they are OK.....Not Marshall caliber, but OK for our offense. Collins put the ball where it was supposed to be and they caught it....Surprise!

9. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

sounds good to me - it's all about who gives us the best chance of winning and not who's feelings get hurt. This team reminds me of the Ravens the year they won the Superbowl, ball control offense that's able to control the clock and a smothering defense. With Vince at QB I feel that the idea of "ball control" goes totally out the window. Collins is the man from here on out. Vince should start looking at other positions to play unless by some miracle he has a total ability makeover.

10. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Was this a surprise to some? Say collins goes 5-0 while vince is out, there's no way he would stop something thats clicking. If collins goes 3-2 then I think vince will be our starter when he comes back. I'm as big a vince fan as anyone but if our team gets to 6-0 with collins then there's no way i'd say bring vince back in right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar